8X? 10X? 12X? For My NEW 222?

I had a 12X SWFA just for varminting on my 22-250. If i was back in Central Oregon hunting chucks and yotes in lava rocks it would have been fine. The background would have made it easy to find them. But now I'm in an area that is mostly grass and it became hard to find anything. So I switched to a SWFA 10X and it seems easier to find rats and such. The fixed Leupolds might be brighter and more clear so the time proven 12X might be fine or preferable. I just found the fixed 10X to work better for me.

I have 3 of the old Leupolds in 12x so you might say i think they are worth having.
But i dont necessarily agree that power in a scope is always important, especially with small cartridges like a 222. I could make myself happy having any of them, but given the choice for that gun id pick the 8x.

An '0ld School' 222Rem Varmint rifle fell out the sky. l have been given the choice of a 8X, 10X, or 12X scope.

All 3 are fixed pwr 40mm AO Leupolds in great shape. The giver of the gift says, ''Pick just ONE for the 222''.

To respect the Giver that's what l will do. Which do l choose for my ''NEW'' 222?

Thanks,
I guess it all depends on how you'll use the triple deuce. If you're mainly going to punch paper then the 12X would be my choice. Varminting then any of them will work, even the 8X of sage rats will be fine out to 300 yards. I shot rats with an AR15 out to 250 yards with a Zeiss 1.5-5.5X. So it will depend on your needs and which looks best to your eyes.

I have 3 of the old Leupolds in 12x so you might say i think they are worth having.
But i dont necessarily agree that power in a scope is always important, especially with small cartridges like a 222. I could make myself happy having any of them, but given the choice for that gun id pick the 8x.
Yo- l agree on the 8x. lt DID have a problem with a loose objective ring, so l passed. Searching the net l found a 7.5X AO w/TT Leupold. l think it will do til l find an 8xAO Leupold

Last edited:
Yo- l agree on the 8x. lt DID have a problem with a loose objective ring, so l passed. Searching the net l found a 7.5X AO w/TT Leupold. l think it will do til l find an 8xAO Leupold
Well remember that you have a lifetime warranty on all Leupolds even if bought used.
They would fix that scope free or offer you a replacement.
I also have three 3.5x10 VX3s, the last one i bought from a friend who had it since new for a very long time.
I didnt like the duplex reticle in it so i sent it to Leupold for a reticle change.
Awhile later they sent me a card telling me to call them about the scope.
When i did they told me they had found issues with the erector system, and since the scope was old they no longer had the parts to fix it.
So did i want a gloss finish as the old one was or a matt finish on the new replacement they sent me free.
But i did have to pay for the upcharge for the reticle i wanted. lol

1 Year Update:
My New/Old 700ADL is at Jarrett Rifles being worked on. The gun is getting a new Shilen trigger along with pillar bedding. Stock is the old ADL sporter with screw in sling loops like Pre 64 Model 70s.

Now for the scope:
lts a gloss Leupi fixed 7.5X AO w/ tgt knobs. The retical is fine crosshairs. 0ptics are chrystal clear. Kenny said 7.5X is good for 95% of shooting needs to 250yds. Loaded up some 50gr SP @ 3100fps.
btw: l still have the 10X, 12X AO Leupolds. Ongoing search for 8X w/tgt knobs

Last edited:
Congratulations on your Triple Duce , I reload for my cousins custom TD !!!,never had any 8's or 10's but I had two 12 's that were great , two things would beat them ,a dot retical and a Varmit hunters retical, but enjoy ,& Cheers !!!

Congratulations on your Triple Duce , I reload for my cousins custom TD !!!,never had any 8's or 10's but I had two 12 's that were great , two things would beat them ,a dot retical and a Varmit hunters retical, but enjoy ,& Cheers !!!
Varmint Hunters retical doesn't work for me on prairie dogs. Too many lines to keep up with. l have a VH retical in a 6.5-20 vx3 that l used this past June in New Mexico on my 223Rem. lt will be coming off before my next PD safari. Found an EFR 6.5-20 with a DOT only this summer. A good fast NBT @ 4000fps makes hold-over unnecessary inside 300yds. Simply point and SHOOT. Dots are KING

Small stuff like Sage Rats... take the 12X others stuff like Coyotes I'd go with the 8X just my 0.2 Cheers.

Got ya inside of 300 ,what about 400 ,450 ,500,550,600,625 . Them VH lines work just as good ,sure beats guessing Or hold over ,Kentucky windage is good learning ifin your a Natural (meaning) Crack shot, but it burns up time ,my 223 custom will push that 40 NBT 3900 fps , 625 is my backstop so it's pretty easy pickens, my prarie dog is 500 b/steel ,cheers