8X? 10X? 12X? For My NEW 222?

xsn10s

I had a 12X SWFA just for varminting on my 22-250. If i was back in Central Oregon hunting chucks and yotes in lava rocks it would have been fine. The background would have made it easy to find them. But now I'm in an area that is mostly grass and it became hard to find anything. So I switched to a SWFA 10X and it seems easier to find rats and such. The fixed Leupolds might be brighter and more clear so the time proven 12X might be fine or preferable. I just found the fixed 10X to work better for me.

yobuck

I have 3 of the old Leupolds in 12x so you might say i think they are worth having.
But i dont necessarily agree that power in a scope is always important, especially with small cartridges like a 222. I could make myself happy having any of them, but given the choice for that gun id pick the 8x.

xsn10s

An '0ld School' 222Rem Varmint rifle fell out the sky. l have been given the choice of a 8X, 10X, or 12X scope.

All 3 are fixed pwr 40mm AO Leupolds in great shape. The giver of the gift says, ''Pick just ONE for the 222''.

To respect the Giver that's what l will do. Which do l choose for my ''NEW'' 222?

Thanks,
I guess it all depends on how you'll use the triple deuce. If you're mainly going to punch paper then the 12X would be my choice. Varminting then any of them will work, even the 8X of sage rats will be fine out to 300 yards. I shot rats with an AR15 out to 250 yards with a Zeiss 1.5-5.5X. So it will depend on your needs and which looks best to your eyes.

sw282

I have 3 of the old Leupolds in 12x so you might say i think they are worth having.
But i dont necessarily agree that power in a scope is always important, especially with small cartridges like a 222. I could make myself happy having any of them, but given the choice for that gun id pick the 8x.
Yo- l agree on the 8x. lt DID have a problem with a loose objective ring, so l passed. Searching the net l found a 7.5X AO w/TT Leupold. l think it will do til l find an 8xAO Leupold

Last edited:

yobuck

Yo- l agree on the 8x. lt DID have a problem with a loose objective ring, so l passed. Searching the net l found a 7.5X AO w/TT Leupold. l think it will do til l find an 8xAO Leupold
Well remember that you have a lifetime warranty on all Leupolds even if bought used.
They would fix that scope free or offer you a replacement.
I also have three 3.5x10 VX3s, the last one i bought from a friend who had it since new for a very long time.
I didnt like the duplex reticle in it so i sent it to Leupold for a reticle change.
Awhile later they sent me a card telling me to call them about the scope.
When i did they told me they had found issues with the erector system, and since the scope was old they no longer had the parts to fix it.
So did i want a gloss finish as the old one was or a matt finish on the new replacement they sent me free.
But i did have to pay for the upcharge for the reticle i wanted. lol

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.