8mm Thread

I'm thinking "8mm Howitzer" for some reason ! lol !
this cartridge concept is very sound and has great potential, so what if the 338 Lapua or Edge are very similar in ballistics ? is that not a good thing ?

for those who are concerned about recoil, WTH ?

seriously guys, my 14 yr old daughter shoots my 338 Edge with deadly precision out to 300 meters (local range max distance) she also was the second person on the planet to fire my 375 Mjolnir wildcat, wth is it with these silly recoil concerns anyway ? a slight bump on the shoulder is NOT going to kill you, the BULLET goes out the muzzle away from your wimpy self and will NOT hurt you !!!

all kidding aside ! please refrain from bringing up recoil when talking about cartridges based on cases bigger than the old '06, ****es me off every time .

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Pro. Yeah, I fear I must rename it. After I posted it I realized I had a brainfart and that John did have a cartridge named that.

Mark, what do you propose we rename it?

Mud, I was thinking of doing a version with a slightly longer neck and slightly more taper. Thinking about calling it the 8mm Montana.

Shouldn't we actually talk more about the more "normal" (magnum-) rounds in 8 mm and a possible increase in their performance? I'm thinking about the majority of people who like to hear about "missiles" and "canons", but wouldn't use them because of high costs or fear (recoil…) etc. A perhaps flourishing 8mm community needs more good working "basics". Just a thought. gun)

MudRunner posted up a couple of prints based on the 8x68S (8MM Bama) and 338-06 (8mm Mortiferum) that look interesting. The Mortiferum probably wouldn't kick very hard but the Bama probably would. The 325 WSM is already popular and I think the SAUM and RCM (Ruger Compact Mag) would make Interesting wildcats, especially the RCM.

Recoil would not be a factor to me as I would put a brake on the rifle.

I'd consider it again by necking down my 338 Wolverine but would love to see a 250 gr long range bullet first ..

That would be interesting. To get a .8 BC range bullet, which Is what I would like to see, I'm thinking it has to be closer to 270 gr which gets it close to the .375 SD of the 300 gr 338 cal bullets.

Bottom line, if I go ahead with this, I'll order a 12"-8 1/2" gain twist barrel and have CEB make the longest highest BC bullet that stabilizes in that twist.

MudRunner posted up a couple of prints based on the 8x68S (8MM Bama) and 338-06 (8mm Mortiferum) that look interesting. The Mortiferum probably wouldn't kick very hard but the Bama probably would. The 325 WSM is already popular and I think the SAUM and RCM (Ruger Compact Mag) would make Interesting wildcats, especially the RCM.

Recoil would not be a factor to me as I would put a brake on the rifle.

Yes, both the RCM and SAUM could be promising bases for 8mm's fitting into short actions. :) When I mentioned recoil before I did it, because a lot of people even on this site are concerned about it. I tried to take care since we're not alone on the world with our opinions and experiences. Nowadays I use good brakes as you do. Before I was firing all the calibres available for me up to the powerfull European '366 without. Wasn't comfortable, but without problems. gun)

Why not using the cool name "Mortiferum" for this one with the big Lapua case. Just switch it over. That cartridge will be for sure a real "Death's Iron". :D Sorry for my interference, but since I'm accompanying the thread I like to contribute. The topic is intriguing me… :)
Yeah, I'll swap them around, then come up with a different name for the .338-06 A-Square based cartridge.

Last edited:
Mud, I was thinking of doing a version with a slightly longer neck and slightly more taper. Thinking about calling it the 8mm Montana.
That's cool. We could have our own different designs. That's cool with me. You call yours Montana and design it how you want it, and I'll call mine Morteferum and leave it blown out with .010" taper and .300" neck.

Yes, both the RCM and SAUM could be promising bases for 8mm's fitting into short actions. :) When I mentioned recoil before I did it, because a lot of people even on this site are concerned about it. I tried to take care since we're not alone on the world with our opinions and experiences. Nowadays I use good brakes as you do. Before I was firing all the calibres available for me up to the powerfull European '366 without. Wasn't comfortable, but without problems. gun)

I also used to fire the 300 RUM without a brake. No problem with it but not very pleasant. I put a brake on my new RUM to make it more enjoyable and also to be able get back on target quickly which I think is very important in Long Range shooting, especially if you don't have a spotter.

I also used to fire the 300 RUM without a brake. No problem with it but not very pleasant. I put a brake on my new RUM to make it more enjoyable and also to be able get back on target quickly which I think is very important in Long Range shooting, especially if you don't have a spotter.

Yes, absolutely right! Shooting and hunting without knowledge of the bullet placement / impact is meaningless and irresponsible.

Here is the new line-up, all corrected.

The 8mm Morteferrum (previously Titan) based off the .338 Lapua cartridge....

8mmMorteferrum_zps0d62e7f8.jpg

The 8mm Bama, which is based off the 8x68mm Shuler cartridge...

8mmBama_zpsf44c04fe.jpg

And the 8mm Orbitalis (previously Morteferum) which is based off the .338-06 A-Square cartridge....

8mmOrbitalis_zps7b673083.jpg

Here is the new line-up, all corrected.

The 8mm Morteferrum (previously Titan) based off the .338 Lapua cartridge....

8mmMorteferrum_zps0d62e7f8.jpg

The 8mm Bama, which is based off the 8x68mm Shuler cartridge...

8mmBama_zpsf44c04fe.jpg

And the 8mm Orbitalis (previously Morteferum) which is based off the .338-06 A-Square cartridge....

8mmOrbitalis_zps7b673083.jpg
Great designs and names! :) Hope you'll get the money to have these wildcats done. Both as rifles and cartridges of course. gun)

Great designs and names! :) Hope you'll get the money to have these wildcats done. Both as rifles and cartridges of course. gun)

Thanks!

My first Wilcat is the .22 Evidentem, which is one I designed based on the Berger 90gr VLD bullets for serious LR varmint hunting. I haven't talked much about it, because it's kind of a secret project of mine.

Next will be either 7mm Malum or 8mm Bama (both use 8x68 Shuler for parent case).

Thanks!

My first Wilcat is the .22 Evidentem, which is one I designed based on the Berger 90gr VLD bullets for serious LR varmint hunting. I haven't talked much about it, because it's kind of a secret project of mine.

Next will be either 7mm Malum or 8mm Bama (both use 8x68 Shuler for parent case).

Due to restrictions (6 guns in total, including shotguns & rifles) I'm considering the purchase of a system rifle ( the Danish Schultz & Larsen) with interchangeable barrels, not now but for 2014. The advantage is to use always the same triggerfeature, stock, mounts and scope(s) if requested. Calibre - frame from 222 to 505 Gibbs, and at least the number of barrels is not limited. Next as you already know will be a 7RM for sure. More than good enough for all from roe to moose at our latitude. :)