8mm Remington Magnum with IMR 8133

falco394

Wanted to see if anyone has used or tested IMR 8133 with a 8mm mag. I haven't been able to find anything online. I have emailed Hodgons to see if there is any load information, but I have not received a reply. I know they say that 8133 has a similar burn rate as Retumbo, but I'm not sure where to start. Thank you in advance for the input!

theyre listing some pretty fast powders , compared to either of the 2 you mentioned ...

even if you had a heavy bullet , it would probably still like something in the 4831 burn rate

The problem is, just like other old cartridges like the 264WM, the powder dudes are just not testing new powders in these rounds.
I bought QuickLoad to garnish loads for these old cartridges with new powders, it works getting you in the ballpark, but I found it lacking when I put it against the Pressure Trace II.
In the end, trying to match pressure data with QL was futile, so I sold it.
Ask someone to put it in QL, you may just get an answer that will be usable.

Cheers.

It'll do best with the heaviest bullets you can find for that 8mm. Does good in my .300 win mag with 225s. 8mm is bigger bore but also larger case, case to bore ratio can't be too much different.

Thank you all for the input. I was going to run a 200 gr accubond. I do have other powders that'll work in it, but had a couple of pounds of 8133 sitting on the shelf that wasn't being used in anything.

Wanted to see if anyone has used or tested IMR 8133 with a 8mm mag. I haven't been able to find anything online. I have emailed Hodgons to see if there is any load information, but I have not received a reply. I know they say that 8133 has a similar burn rate as Retumbo, but I'm not sure where to start. Thank you in advance for the input!
I'm getting 3000 fps with 83 gr 7977 in a 27" barrel and 220 Sierra. I worked up from 77 gr, and went to 84 gr. but this is my accuracy load. I have several groups that cut 1/4 MOA at 200yds and always stays in the 1/2 MOA range. This rifle has a bull barrel, and a double shoulder sling for when I decide to carry it

Yes, I have a "built gun" that came out of The Best Of The West shop, data proved, burnt turrets, shooting 2911 FPS in a 7Rem Mag. It is shooting 69.3gr. of IMR8133. Bullet: 180gr Berger VLD Hunting. The load has been very consistent and repeatable. Killed a doe on a "kill permit " at 901yds last November. I recommend this powder. Have enuf of it now to last the anticipated life of the barrel.
Start low and work up slow. I think you will like this powder.

Recent Posts