8mm Rem Mag ?

NONYA

I am considering using my 8 mag exclusivly next season and I was looking for some advice from 8mag shooters.I currently shoot 180gr TSXs over 4350.Have any of you loaded the 200 gr bullets for longer range energy?What is the farthest known kill with a 8 mag?I have taken a spike elk with it a aprx. 500 yards,up until now that is all i have hunted with it,next year I may use it on everything just to learn the rifles trajectory better and possibly extend my longest rifle kill by a few hundred yards.

I like the 8 rem mag and have who knows how many wildcats using that case. The problem is not much choice in bullets for the 8mm's and that is what killed the cartridge. It is a great round if the bullets were there for it. I have never shot the Barnes in mine but have in several other calibers and could not get adequate accuracy for dependable long range shooting. The 180 nosler ballistic tip shot very well in mine and the longest shot I had with it was a 620 yard caribou in Alaska several years back. Bullet performance was very good. Winchester WMR worked bast in mine but it is discontinued.

copied from another thread....

8MM bullet selection....
dont know if anyone will read this, as it is an old post. I have just recently gotten back on this Board and i am skimming thru all the old ones. The 8 MMrem mag was my favorite go-to gun for elk for years, having killed upwards of 25 with it i can tell you that it is an awesome caliber for these tough critters. cant remember the specifics of my load but i know i used IMR 4350 powder and the nosler 200grain partition bullet. i cronied this load at just a tad over 3000fps and i never saw any need to load any other bullet......i used it on dall and bighorn sheep, moose, caribou, mulies, even a pronghorn antelope, and it worked great on all. my farthest shot on an animal was an elk @ 753 yrds. The rifle was a rem 700, factory barrel with a brown precision pillar bedded stock. it shot around .7 inch groups.....alas, i lost it along with about 40 other guns in a house fire....ive been shopping for a new one since......AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts