8mm Rem. Mag.

I knew a tough little guide in Montana who used the 8mm Mag to the exclusion of all other elk calibers. He swore by it.

Who knows why it hasn't been popular? Limited choice of bullets? Similarity to the well established .338? Hard to say. As you know, necked down to 7mm, it's the excellent 7 STW.

My brother has an 8mm Rem bumped out to a 338. Great velocity and accurate to boot. The downfall of the 8mm Rem could probably be attributed to bullet selection/metric stigma with US shooters. We'll see how the 325 WSM fares, more popularity=better bullets.

Welcome back to a real Zombie thread!

1642700972046.png

From the author of this article:

Between the two, I have to declare the .300 Weatherby Magnum the victor, for the availability of ammunition, for the incredible selection of .30-caliber bullets, and for the slight advantage of .30-caliber over 8mm. Or perhaps that last point is better stated by saying that the 8mm bore diameter offers no realistic advantage over .30-caliber; both top out at 220 grains (250 grains in extreme cases for both) and the frontal diameter vs. Sectional Density argument seems to balance out. While there is nothing wrong with choosing the 8mm bore, it doesn't really offer anything that you can't achieve with the .30-caliber cartridges.

https://www.americanhunter.org/content/head-to-head-300-wby-mag-vs-8mm-rem-mag/

Much has been written over the years regarding many cartridge comparisons, some we agree with, others we will dispute forever.

Like the 7STW, I have no reason to start a load program for either one of these cartridges. There are several other cartridges in .30 caliber and more recently, the .33 caliber which outperform the 8mm Rem. Mag. and utilizing the less expansive magazine boxes. But the rule of thumb has always been; dance with who you brung!

Enjoy!

I have zero experience hunting with an 8mm Mag and will let those that do fight out its ballistics and usefulness but I have a quick story to share. While groundhog hunting back in the early eighties a small group of friends we ran across a hunter sporting a 6mm Rem. We got into a conversation on guns, ballistics and whatnot. He mentioned he had a 8mm Mag in a Remington 700. During our talk he said that it was one of the most accurate rifles he had and deer hunted with it. As we thought it was a bit much for deer he invited us back to his house where he had a hundred yard range. To keep it short the three of us shot a three shot group aimed at a 1/2 inch red sticker and everyone of us could have covered our shots with another sticker. I can say this I know they have potential to be very accurate shooters.