8mm Rem Mag Love?

Hicks

Anybody? I have been in love with this cartridge since I was 14 and I read an article by the Boddington in Guns & Ammo on it. I had to wait four years but I got my first one as a high school graduation present. It was build circa 1982. Getting a 28" Lilja and an action tuneup. I bought a new stock for it, but I decided to just clean up the original and pillar bed it. Hope to take it to Africa next summer. It has accounted for a couple nice antelope bucks, a few mule deer, and a clean miss at about a 340" bull elk. 79.5 grains of 4831 under 220gr Sierra Game Kings. Berger, pleas make me some 250grs!

Hicks

As a huge 7mm STW fan, it is only natural for me to be a fan of the 8mmRM, as well. If Berger would offer some 8mm VLD bullets in the 225-250gr range, I would definitely build one.

As a huge 7mm STW fan, it is only natural for me to be a fan of the 8mmRM, as well. If Berger would offer some 8mm VLD bullets in the 225-250gr range, I would definitely build one.

The lack of a quality bullet is really the only thing that has kept this cartridge in darkness for so long. I could easily see with a suitable barrel that it could drive, say a 240gr VLD, at upwards of 2900fps. Come on Berger! I would also suggest that some flavor of VLD would be an excellent choice for the .323WSM.

Hicks

I am also a huge STW fan, so its parent cartridge has always interested me.

Now that Cutting Edge has released its new 8mm bullet, y'all have an excellent option to reach out there a bit.

@Mudrunner2005, there are no more excuses to find ... IMHO :D I'm remembering a day in 2014 I think, when you said you would build yourself a 8mm/.323 immediately, as soon as a LR - bullet in that caliber would appear ... Now there are two of them to find, the 225gr. MTH and 256gr. MTH by CEB. Berger won't do any better, or are you "still" looking for a suitable excuse? No offense here! :)

@Mudrunner2005, there are no more excuses to find ... IMHO :D I'm remembering a day in 2014 I think, when you said you would build yourself a 8mm/.323 immediately, as soon as a LR - bullet in that caliber would appear ... Now there are two of them to find, the 225gr. MTH and 256gr. MTH by CEB. Berger won't do any better, or are you "still" looking for a suitable excuse? No offense here! :)

Well, I can't justify the $2.00 per projectile like the CEB bullets cost, so that puts them out of the running, the Bergers are already expensive enough at $0.50 each, with the volume of shooting I normally do in the spring, fall, and winter.

The only other excuse I do have is I have to buy a barrel blank, and those aren't cheap... I also have to find a stock for it. I already have an action on-hand that has been blueprinted, but it has a barrel on it, and the stock is horrible, so I would need to sell it, or trade it for something else.

I know, I'm running out of excuses. I also kept saying over and over that "my NEXT build will be a .280 AI..." And we all see how well that went. I think I built 5 rifles after that, and NONE of them were in .280 AI. :D

Dangit!!! My Lilja bbl isn't twisted tight enough to stabilize those big CEB 256grs!!! UGGGG!!!

The 225gr MTH by CEB will surely fit the bill concerning your claims! It's tuned for factory rifles/barrels in 8mmS/.323 as the 8mmRM, 8x68S etc. The 225 MTH is already challenging with its pure length ... You'll find a 250gr. BTHP trainings - bullet made by PPU for little money or even American made Hawk Bullets with weights up to 250 - 280gr ... I personally doubt the necessity of bullet-weights like these for 8mm.

The 225gr MTH by CEB will surely fit the bill concerning your claims! It's tuned for factory rifles/barrels in 8mmS/.323 as the 8mmRM, 8x68S etc. The 225 MTH is already challenging with its pure length ... You'll find a 250gr. BTHP trainings - bullet made by PPU for little money or even American made Hawk Bullets with weights up to 250 - 280gr ... I personally doubt the necessity of bullet-weights like these for 8mm.

Hmmm... I guess I needed to do a little research because I was under the impression that Woodleigh was the only manufacturer of heavy round noses and solids for the 8mm. I'm very excited that there are folks out there who understand the fantastic capabilities of this caliber. When I go to Africa I'm going to take with me some heavy RNs that are sitting on top of just as much powder as I can safely load and stick a couple in the magazine just in case.

I'm an 8mm mag fan, have been since some time in the mid 1980's when I first became interested in guns. I'm a lefty so that pretty much meant a custom. I put one together about 10 years ago with a Rem factory take off barrel on a donor 700 action. It shot okay but not great so it went down the road. A couple of years later I put one together on a stainless MRC action and barrel in an HS precision stock. Again, it shot okay but not great so it also went down the road.
I finally hit the jackpot a couple of years ago when I picked up a Rock Creek stainless sporter contour 25.5" barrel that had been threaded and chambered by GA Precision and had about 150 rounds through it. It was set up for a 0.250" recoil lug and luckily my gunsmith had a tapered one on hand. He head spaced and installed the barrel on my stainless 700 donor action and had it back to me in less than a month. I bedded it into an HS precision stock I had on hand. With the 200 gr Partition it shoots half to one inch groups at 3150 fps and has since accounted for 3 black bears, a coyote, a whitetail doe and my best whitetail buck ever, a 144" 9 point. Needless to say, it has a permanent place in my collection.

I'm an 8mm mag fan, have been since some time in the mid 1980's when I first became interested in guns. I'm a lefty so that pretty much meant a custom. I put one together about 10 years ago with a Rem factory take off barrel on a donor 700 action. It shot okay but not great so it went down the road. A couple of years later I put one together on a stainless MRC action and barrel in an HS precision stock. Again, it shot okay but not great so it also went down the road.
I finally hit the jackpot a couple of years ago when I picked up a Rock Creek stainless sporter contour 25.5" barrel that had been threaded and chambered by GA Precision and had about 150 rounds through it. It was set up for a 0.250" recoil lug and luckily my gunsmith had a tapered one on hand. He head spaced and installed the barrel on my stainless 700 donor action and had it back to me in less than a month. I bedded it into an HS precision stock I had on hand. With the 200 gr Partition it shoots half to one inch groups at 3150 fps and has since accounted for 3 black bears, a coyote, a whitetail doe and my best whitetail buck ever, a 144" 9 point. Needless to say, it has a permanent place in my collection.

Wow. I've had two myself. I have the original one obviously, but I bought one from a work friend which had a break on it. I had some trouble with the scope install until I noticed that the base holes were crooked. It shot ok but not up to my standards.

Many years ago I played around with some of the 200gr Partitions. I got lucky and drew an antelope tag in the Pawnee National Grasslands. I caught a buck chasing a doe out a few hundred yards. He would not present me with a broadside shot, so I shot him in the front of the chest and that bullet went all the way through and exited the rear. Lots of horsepower in this cartridge.

Need help I purchased a custom model 70 pre64 in 8mm mag when i shot it it blow out the brass any idea on what the previous owner rechambered the gun to looks like a beltless case ???