8mm Rem Mag Hunters

If you compare the 8 mm rem mag to the 338 Win Mag the 8mm will outperform the 338 wm
In velocity @ less pressure and with a 200 grain bullet, the ballistic coefficient of the 8mm will be better because of it's diameter to length if the same brand and style of bullets are used.

Lack of different bullets has been the downfall of many great cartridges, but now that we have more bullets and many powder choices, the 8 mm Rem has more potential. Many of the old cartridges have a new lease on life with all of the improvements in components today.

If you feel like you need more and still have the 8 mm rem, all you have to do Is AI it and a 200 grain bullet at 3,000 becomes a 200 grain bullet at 3150. placing it with the big boys.
And if you are into designer names you can call it a "SUPER 8" or something catchy. :cool:

Just saying don't count the old guys out.

J E CUSTOM
I had exactly that for awhile. Shot Warren Jenson's old J26's out of it. 210 grains @3200. Exact same thing happened to every animal. Didn't seem to matter how big, how far, or at what angle, thumb sized entrance and pre inflation silver dollar exit. Some of those bullets may still be in the air! Killed like Thor's hammer. Let a guy talk me out of it for nearly twice what I had in it. Still miss it. Take an 8MM RM and AI it and it will leave a lasting impression on most anything you shoot with it with the right bullets.

Looking forward to more 8mm threads
I as well!
I own an 8x68 and an 8 mag. I have been shooting the 170 SST for a few years in the 8x68 at 3150 FPS with excellent results on deer. A friend gave me some 220 Woodleigh PP to try, and they are sub 1/2 minute in my rifle. Great Elk load at 2800 FPS (28" McGowen) I have an 8 Mag bull barrel rifle that I regularly shoot steel out to a thousand with. That rifle gets 220 Sierra BT bullets at 3000 fps from a 27" Green Mtn barrel. I put a double strap sling on it so I can carry it. plan to shoot some game with it this year

This is the second year in a row using the Hornady 8mm, 170-gr. SST and the second year with a "bang-flop" (one in Wyoming and last week in Nevada. Be advised if you haven't used the SST's, they explode and do not exit, you'll be lucky to find the smashed bullet base with any lead on it beneath the hide on the side opposite the entry wound. Both deer were instantly dead with massive body cavity destruction not quite as big as a volley-ball in size. Don't hit anything you want to eat so a mid-to-low shot just behind the "elbow" is Ideal. I haven't had to shoot past 200-yards yet so I don't know how far out you can shoot and expect this bullet performance.
Before you start calling my rifle a "Hamburger Gun," proper shot placement is required! I'm old and handicapped and can't pack very much for any distance so close shots are all I'll take and a I don't wound and track or loose crips in the brush.
I've tested many combinations of powders and projectiles over the last few years and keep coming back to the 8mm 170Gr. SST with 77-Gr.'s of IMR 4350 without any signs of high pressure. I use a Caldwell Lead Sled with two 25-pond bags of shot so I can spend a long time at the range. The barrel is a 26" Bartlein stainless that was fitted-up last spring.
At .015" over a .308 and .015" under a .338, the caliber would seem to be the perfect fit for big Mule Deer and Elk in one rifle. Im still working on new having just received A box of Hornady 170-Gr. round nose with a box of Hornady 185-Gr. spire point on the way. I'll keep you 8MM Rem Mag guys posted.
Ducklkr,
Your post prompted me to look at the SST on the Hornady site. The SST is not advertised as a frangible bullet, just the opposite, they talk about its weight retention.
I have shot four mule deer with the 139 grain SST traveling at 2900fps.. The deer were from 80 to 280 yards and the deer were shot just behind the shoulder. Three of the bullets passed through and the other was found just under the skin on the opposite side.
In the two deer you shot the SST did not seem to perform as advertised, do you think this could have had to do with shot placement, bullet speed or distance of shot? thanks, MT

Mostly,
I copied and pasted this directly off of their website and nowhere could I find anything about retention of anything.

"The Hornady® SST® (Super Shock Tip) is designed to deliver tremendous shock on impact while expanding quickly and reliably, particularly at higher velocities." "The SST® creates a devastatingly large wound channel."

I'd say that the bullets worked as designed, advertised, and expected at near muzzle velocity.

As I stated earlier, both shots were close, one just over 200-yards and the other less than 100-yards. The 8mm is a wide bullet and leaving the barrel at approx. 3100 fps with my hand-load and enters the body like a truck rather than an injection needle. (Big caliber big damage).

With the first bullet I found one piece of lead that looked the size and shape of a small piece of long-grain white rice. It was flat black rather than shiny suggesting to me that lead it crystallized at rapid expansion.

The second bullet produced no particles of lead at all during brief cavity search. Both deer were field dressed and quartered.
I try not to shoot at targets further than 200-yards but if the opportunity comes I'll take a good, clear, long shot and let you know.

Like a lot of the shooting community, I was surprised when Remington brought 300 RUM out and wondered why they didn't introduce an "improved" 8MM Rem Mag instead. Of course, there's always the 8MMX378 Weatherby. It's a monster killer and lethal on both ends as well.

Like a lot of the shooting community, I was surprised when Remington brought 300 RUM out and wondered why they didn't introduce an "improved" 8MM Rem Mag instead. Of course, there's always the 8MMX378 Weatherby. It's a monster killer and lethal on both ends as well.
I do not need an 8mmx378 Weatherby. I have a plain ol' 378 Weatherby Mark V. What I lament is the fact that I was born left-handed. Most calibers from most manufacturers are not offered in left-hand guns. That is a disability most right-handed people never think about. And yes, I can shoot with a right-hand rifle, but it ain't no fun.

Agreed, the 378 is an impressive rifle, on both ends. I shot Ed's on numerous occasions and, off hand, it wasn't any worse than the 8. The 460 WM will rattle your fillings for sure. Many years ago, when I was still in the import business, I shot a round of trap in Klimovsk, Russia with a Russian copy of the Remington 1100 in 8 gauge. That was impressive as well. Four ounces of shot does make it very easy to hit the targets. You can see the shot string when you pull the trigger.

Agreed, the 378 is an impressive rifle, on both ends. I shot Ed's on numerous occasions and, off hand, it wasn't any worse than the 8. The 460 WM will rattle your fillings for sure. Many years ago, when I was still in the import business, I shot a round of trap in Klimovsk, Russia with a Russian copy of the Remington 1100 in 8 gauge. That was impressive as well. Four ounces of shot does make it very easy to hit the targets. You can see the shot string when you pull the trigger.
jls in az: I also hunt geese with a Spanish 10 gauge double. I would love to be able to say I have shot an 8 gauge. That is something I do not understand about recoil. I know guys that bird hunt with 12 gauge magnum shotshells and shoot dozens a day without seemingly worrying about the recoil. Sure, anyone that shoots that much in one day is bruised and a little beat up by the end of a good day, but why do so many folks worry about owning a HUNTING rifle that they probably don't shoot more than ten times a year, yet the recoil is a HUGE problem for them. I am a little chunky in my older age, but I am not a big guy. I shot a 460 Weatherby with 500 gr. factory bullets three times (all at once standing) and it did rock me on my feet and I did, on one of those shots, take a step backward, but it was survivable. Bench shooting--a different dog on that day.

The secret to shooting big rifles well is simple. Shoot it very little, and very often. Take it with you every time you go shoot. Shoot it once or twice and put it up and play with other stuff. You can get used to most anything this way in time.

Before the 300RUM there was a lot written about the 8MM-404 and everyone expect it to become a factory cartridge for sure. Would be something with modern long range bullets of 220-250grs.

Before the 300RUM there was a lot written about the 8MM-404 and everyone expect it to become a factory cartridge for sure. Would be something with modern long range bullets of 220-250grs.
Wait till you see what I am going to be getting built in the next few months. So cool. More to follow when i actually get it started.

I wish Swift still made their 190gr scirocco II. That would be one mean bullet at any velocity near or far.
You would have loved the J26's. Very similar construction, but longer, sleeker, heavier, and a pure copper jacket. Don't really know how big they expanded, or if there was ever any bond issues with the core. Never found an animal tough enough to catch one. Just fist sized exit holes. Exits were the same at 50yds and 800. As far as I know they may still be in the air..... Wish I had bought enough of them to last a lifetime, but in 1980 seems like they were something like $1.50-$2.00 each, and a poor boy bought them in lots of 20. With inflation today guess they would run about twenty bucks each, but they sure were worth the money. Wish Warren hadn't gone to all copper.

You would have loved the J26's. Very similar construction, but longer, sleeker, heavier, and a pure copper jacket. Don't really know how big they expanded, or if there was ever any bond issues with the core. Never found an animal tough enough to catch one. Just fist sized exit holes. Exits were the same at 50yds and 800. As far as I know they may still be in the air..... Wish I had bought enough of them to last a lifetime, but in 1980 seems like they were something like $1.50-$2.00 each, and a poor boy bought them in lots of 20. With inflation today guess they would run about twenty bucks each, but they sure were worth the money. Wish Warren hadn't gone to all copper.
I am going to build it off the Hammer bullets. Especially the 245 and 268. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.