8mm magnum

I missed a beautiful Mark V ClassicMark 340WBY not too long ago and am still kicking myself. I've been casually searching for a 340WBY since.

As for the 8mm Rem Mag - the load I took on my 2020 Wyoming elk hunt was a 200gr TSX over RL22 at 3,120FPS, per the LabRadar, coming out of a factory BDL. Load work up was quite the chore without a brake, but was worth it in the end.

I missed a beautiful Mark V ClassicMark 340WBY not too long ago and am still kicking myself. I've been casually searching for a 340WBY since.

As for the 8mm Rem Mag - the load I took on my 2020 Wyoming elk hunt was a 200gr TSX over RL22 at 3,120FPS, per the LabRadar, coming out of a factory BDL. Load work up was quite the chore without a brake, but was worth it in the end.
either or those calibers load work up is quite the chore without a brake. I also agree the power those two put down range is amazing. I have shot my 340's way more then 8mm. Either are an outstanding anything walking in N America round for sure and Id say 90% rest of the planet.

Got this email from Remington the other day, looks like they are intent on making brass (are making ?) for some of my all time favorites, I think..... I hope .....

Maybe the new owner was made aware of Rems lack of brass/ammo support for their own cartridges and will correct that problem ?
Sure hope so, It'll be nice to see Big Green on the shelves again, keeping the competition in line with their pricing

8mm Remington Magnum
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser
300 Remington Ultra Magnum
300 Winchester Short Magnum
30-30 Winchester
350 Remington Magnum

I was surprised to see 8mm Rem Mag on their list but shocked to see the 350 Remington Magnum, but hey, I'll take it, save me the trouble of forming cases from other belted brass and have the correct headstamp to go with that

Fingers crossed and hope this bears fruit for all of us

81F9D6D6-5413-4936-8018-994AC81A87A3.jpeg
C37E4BDD-CB6B-41AA-803E-03CBE63731B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Got this email from Remington the other day, looks like they are intent on making brass (are making ?) for some of my all time favorites, I think..... I hope .....

Maybe the new owner was made aware of Rems lack of brass/ammo support for their own cartridges and will correct that problem ?
Sure hope so, It'll be nice to see Big Green on the shelves again, keeping the competition in line with their pricing

8mm Remington Magnum
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser
300 Remington Ultra Magnum
300 Winchester Short Magnum
30-30 Winchester
350 Remington Magnum

I was surprised to see 8mm Rem Mag on their list but shocked to see the 350 Remington Magnum, but hey, I'll take it, save me the trouble of forming cases from other belted brass and have the correct headstamp to go with that

Fingers crossed and hope this bears fruit for all of us

The 350RM has been my go to whitetail cartridge over the past few years. An M600 in 350 is dang near the perfect PA mountains rifle. Light, short, and it absolutely whacks whitetail.

Where did ya see that list of brass they are potentially making / are going to be making?

The 350RM has been my go to whitetail cartridge over the past few years. An M600 in 350 is dang near the perfect PA mountains rifle. Light, short, and it absolutely whacks whitetail.

Where did ya see that list of brass they are potentially making / are going to be making?
the link I posted is sort of a list, just scroll down and the 350 RM is at the very bottom

That would be awesome if they actually come through on the brass. I'm set pretty good on 8mm mag brass but a lot of guys aren't.
My 8mm mag doesn't have a brake on it, so is a little stout from the bench. I was shooting the 200 gr Partition at 3150 fps from the 26" barrel. I backed off 100 fps and had a noticeable decrease in recoil. The critters don't seem to notice the 100 fps less though.

Sp6x6 I still hunt with my 325 WSM. as well. Mine is in a Winchester 1885 highwall. It has taken several bears, bunches of elk and deer. I shoot the Barnes 180 TSX. My furthest shot was the bull in my avatar. 485 yards DRT. It's hard to leave that gun in the safe when I go out hunting! I like to build an 8 MM mag. They are a hammer for sure.

There's one problem that's hard to get around. There's a very limited selection of 8mm bullets on the market because with so little demand it's prohibitively expensive to tool up for production.

Tooling up is a serious expense for any manufacturer and they tend therefore to focus on what they can sell the most of the fastest to keep the cash flowing.

There's been something of a revitalization of the .277's which were also hampered by bullet selection for many years but I doubt we'll ever see the same with the 8mm's.

That's not really a reason not to own one, but it is something one should consider before buying or building one.

The .300's and .338's have really dominated the market over the last fifty years so that's where the bullet mfg's have put their money and time.

Sign me up as a devout fan of the Big 8. Had Hillbilly Custom Rifles build one on a Rem. 700 action, 26" Krieger barrel with brake and McMillan stock. Very accurate with MagPro and Barnes 200 grain TSX's at 3226 fps. Hammered a nice 6x6 bull elk at 420 yds and wolf at 64 yds this year.

Recent Posts