8mm magnum

what areyour thoughts on this case?how does it compare to the 300 weatherby
8MM RM? If so it's the parent case of the 7mm STW, very good case and very close to the WBY in volume.

I've been shooting the STW since 92 but honestly as hard as the cases are to come by you'd be better off looking at the .375 Ruger case if you want to build a WC.

I'm going to build a 338-375 Ruger later this year once I get finished moving along with a 300-375Ruger/300PRC as well and will probably do a 7mm as well.

Then I'll pretty well have them all covered from 6.5-375 all using the same case.

416 Rem Mag , 358 STA, 7mm STW, 257 STW, 375 H&H AI, 300 Ackly Improved, 300 & 338 Jarrett and countless other wildcats since the 8Mag came about in 1978, It's not simply the 375 H&H case necked down, Remington designers actually applied wildcat techniques and improved the case by pushing the shoulder up, enlarging the top of body from the ridiculously diving taper of the 375 H&H at .448" to .486" allowing up to 5-6 gr more case capacity, making the 8mm Rem Mag case much more attractive than the outdated skinny look of the 375 H&H ...

Roy Weathery shortened his Wby cases to 2.825" from the standard H&H/Rem max case length of 2.850" and went with a longer neck pushing the shoulder down and created his signature radiused shoulder design .... BUT improved the top of body/shoulder junction diameter to .492" in order to maximize case capacity ....

The 8mm RM, 300 @ 340 Wby are within +- 1 grain in case capacity difference, brass make will change capacity somewhat as well

Back in the early 90's I exclusively hunted Alaska moose, brown & black bear with a 300 Win Mag & 8mm Rem Mag and have absolutely noticed the difference in immediate killing effectiveness of the 8mm Mag over the 300 Win Mag .. on parr with the 340 Weatherby ....

Peterson is now making top notch 300 Wby brass and I've got a bunch of it for my 300 Wby & necking it up for my 340 Wby, 8mm Rem Mag & my brothers 375 H&H , this brass should breathe new life into the 8mm Rem Mag, 350 STA, 7mm STW etc ...

I'm definitely resurrecting my 8mm Rem Mag as it's my all time favorite cartridge

8A868395-548D-4647-B051-6E305BA995D4.jpeg

Arguably one of, if not the best Grizzly, Elk and Moose specialty round ever produced in the US. It's a real shame it never really took off.

Just too much recoil for most folks I think. I don't know many that even like shooting the STW for the same reason, they think "it hurts".

Unfortunately you need to sell tens of thousands of rifles and millions of rounds of ammo annually for the big manufacturers to tool up for them.

A school teacher i had in high school had a Rem BDL in one. I shot it 1 time. That was in the early 80's, bullet selection is a tad better these days that's for sure
Now with muzzle breaks as good as they are there are lots of people shooting big crazy magnum cartridges. Not to mention the powders that are now available,

Last edited:
While I worked at Lion Country Safari I shot many big boomers but never an 8mm mag.Now that I'm older I prefer less recoil if possible but would try one if I had the chance.Just look at it's rich history!
It must use a Magnum action for that length.

Swamplord,
The 8mm Rem Mag is my favorite cartridge as well. Mine is a LH 700 with a Rock Creek 10 twist barrel. It shoots crazy accurate with the 200 gr Partition. So well that I haven't yet explored the high BC bullets available from Hammer and others yet, but I fully intend to. I've taken 4 whitetail deer, 3 black bears and a really nice 6x6 bull elk with it, the elk at 450 yards. The Partition was recovered against the far shoulder blade with textbook performance.
I'd love to smack an Alaska Yukon moose with it some day!