8mm mag barrel contour?

Nathanial

I am ready to build a 8mm mag and want to get a few opinions on what contour barrel to use.
Want to keep it fairly light for long treks but want a moa rifle also, max range will be 400 yards. Was thinking of a #4 contour finished at 26". Will a #4 meet my needs? Thanks, Nathan

I would personally recommend a #6 contour, at least from Lilja. Lilja barrels can tend to run a bit smaller then other makers contours. If weight is a concern I would flute the barrel which would make it a bit lighter then a conventional #5 contour.

The 8mm Rem Mag is a serious chambering when handloaded with heavy bullets. great for long range hunting but you will get more accuracy with a bit more barrel mass. If I were building myself a rifle like this I would order a #6 with Dans heavy flutes, look cool as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Really this would depend on how light you want the finished rifle to end up. Since your only looking for a 400 yard rifle a #4 contour barrel would probably do the job fine but once you get used to 400 yard shooting, 500, 600 and then 700 is the next logical step, it will come and the 8mm will certainly do it.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hello Kirby, I am no stranger to the long range game! Not wanting to carry the likes of these big boys below on long foot hunts any longer. The rifle that will be rebarreled is a 8mm mag with a contour very close to a #4. This Remington shoots ok but the first owner cut the barrel to 22" and had a brake installed, big headache and unpleasant to shoot. The weight of this rifle and stock is what I am looing for in a non long range rifle. Just a little concerned about not having the accuracy that I'am used to. Could go with a heaveir contour and flute it but I do not think the B&C Meadalist stock will open up much larger than a #5.

Nathan

Mvc-021f.jpg

Nathaniel, how about a barrel from advanced barrel systems. it's a carbon wrap. it's a bigger diameter but do you really need the stock half way up the side of the barrel when you'll float it anyway? just a thought.

Will the number 5 fit in a B and C medalist stock? A fluted number 5 a good choice for a carrying rifle?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.