8mm is not dead

tonechaser88

Among others I'm sure , I'm extremely interested in the revival of the 8mm. With the current bullet selection and lack of 1:8 twist barrels, just not much love for the 8mm in the past. However, just like the 270 got a boost in bullet selection and twist rates with the 27 nosler and the 6.8 western, where is the love for 8mm? Why not an 8mm nosler? I think the 8mm could have advantages over a 338 or 30 in certain platforms.

With that said , I would love to see what members have done with the 8mm platform so far.
Also , someone please build a 8mm Sherman mega ;)

The 8mm Rem mag is truly a "if you only had one rifle, it would be cartridge"....it will handle anything that walks on NA and most of the planet with ease. If it were not for the designers sabotaging it from the beginning with shear stupidity, BIG GREEN" would have enjoyed a huge amount of success for decades with it. Put an Partition or X-bullet in her and blaze away...most misunderstood cartridge in shooting history..

8x68s build in progress but the sticking point is getting a cf barrel from Bartlein (the only one's doing an 8mm). They are quoting potential for fulfillment at nearly a year! I have an 8mm Rem Mag on a CZ 550 action with a Bart #3b (steel) that shoots lights out with 196 gr Norma Vulkans & 200 gr Woodleigh Protected Points. Repeat after me: "DRT", "DRT", "DRT", "DRT" !! 🤣

I have an 8 mm wildcat based on the 9.3x64 case. Capacity is about like an 8 mm - .338 Winchester Magnum. From a 24-in barrel it runs 198 grain Hammer Hunters at 3,054 ft per second.

The rifle is built on a six-lug Weatherby Mark 5 action.
I like your style! Just necked down or other changes? I wonder what an 8x68s necked to 9.3 would do?? Next project...!! 🙄

whuh?? really? how's it shooting? I had heard or read that re-boring was detrimental to accuracy... yes, no??

Steve of Hammer Bullets suggested I load up some with 72.0 grains. The load consisted of full length sized Norma brass, Hammer Hunter 8mm 198 grainers, H4350 @ 72.0 grains, Federal 215 Magnum primers. I fired five shots at 100 yards using a front rest and rabbit ears rear rest. Following are the results.

#1 - 3059

#2 – 3045

#3 – 3090

#4 – 3030

#5 – 3048

The first three bullets formed a group about ¼". At this point I took a very fun photo. Then I fired another.
Shot #4 opened the group to 9/16" and #5 went inside of the group the first four formed. The five shot group then is 9/16".

One can never re-do the first group. I glad this one is not unusual.

The 24" barrel is .650 at the muzzle. It was fluted as a 6.5mm that reduced its weight by seven ounces.

8x68s build in progress but the sticking point is getting a cf barrel from Bartlein (the only one's doing an 8mm). They are quoting potential for fulfillment at nearly a year! I have an 8mm Rem Mag on a CZ 550 action with a Bart #3b (steel) that shoots lights out with 196 gr Norma Vulkans & 200 gr Woodleigh Protected Points. Repeat after me: "DRT", "DRT", "DRT", "DRT" !! 🤣
Oooooo a carbon fiber 8mm ? What's the twist on that ?