.875 at muzzle for 338 Lapua?

bhol

Anybody have a 338 Lapua with a Krieger #18 light varmint contour, .875 at muzzle? I've got one on order in 28".

What do you guys think, recommend? This is my first 338 Lapua build, and I want to do it right the first time.

At the 28" length , you are fine. If you are trying to save weight , stick with what you have ordered. If you want to go heavier then flute it

Anybody have a 338 Lapua with a Krieger #18 light varmint contour, .875 at muzzle? I've got one on order in 28".

What do you guys think, recommend? This is my first 338 Lapua build, and I want to do it right the first time.
Did you order this from Krieger and do they know what action it is for?

Yeah I ordered directly from Krieger and told them it will be for a Surgeon 1581/XL. It will be 1.35" at the breech and the rest of the dimensions will be the same as the light varmint contour.

There are many sizes and shapes of barrels that will work just fine, including the one you ordered. Personal preference is as big of a factor as anything else. That barrel you ordered has a really long straight section at the breech. I don't like that but it may be your favorite. You seem to be stressing about a barrel, this is the third thread you have started about it. Do you have some concern that hasn't been answered?

7 months is what they told me too. I ordered a barrel from them Friday.

I just see most people go with a heavier taper .900 or higher at the muzzle. Was wondering why so heavy?
I'd guess it is either they think that is what they need, what is available, or what they like. What were your considerations when choosing the barrel you chose?

Basically, 28" length to get the most efficiency out of the barrel. And the light varmint contour, to get a little lighter barrel. I'm not looking for a strictly bench rest gun.
I will be hunting with this rifle also. I doubt I'll be packing this thing in the mountains, but for other hunting trips.

When considering weight, especially with a 1.350 breech diameter, it is easy to miss part of the picture. You could change the breech length to 2.75" and the muzzle diameter to .930 like a #10 contour and not change the weight.

It is a PacNor 5 groove 9.5 twist 1.230" for 5" and finished at .800" at 30". One is almost done and the other is waiting on a hydro dipped chassis system.

img4934tu.jpg

img4928d.jpg

img4926g.jpg

Seems to shoot okay. Here is 3 different loads.

img4940c.jpg

338 Lapua 300 grain Bergers seated 3.900". 2850FPS 94 gr Retumbo
Fed 215 primer. I think these bullets will do. Am going to try RL-25 and RL-33 soon. Someday to try Vit N570.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.