87 V-Max Entrance bigger than exit

Iron Worker

Last Saturday I shot a coyote with my 6x284 shooting 87 V-MAX.75 yds hit him i8n the shoulder bone.Big entrance hole,lots of Blood.Exit was small hardly a drop of blood.Dog went done in a millie secound.So what happened?Thought the exit was supposed to be big?

I have been shooting V-Maxes out of all of my varmint rifles(.22-250,.243 and .25-06). On all of the yotes I have taken only one has left an exit hole. I try and shoot right behind the shoulder or straight on chest shots. These two shoots have the least chance of hitting bones. If what you said is true and you hit right on the shouder, the bullet expanded all of the energy on the outside and did not have enough to leave an exit hole. Question on the rifle, what barrel lenght and what kind of velocities are you getting?

sounds like it hit a twig/grass, or other object before it hit the dog.

BTDT several times--once had about a 4" entry and no exit after a 25cal 100gn SMK went thru several inches before hitting a g-hog.

also shot thru a 4" sapling to get to a g-hog with the same bullet. on exit from the tree, it hit high on the back, and pulled his lung out the top of his body--he never heard the gun report
wink.gif

JB

Iron Worker... my experience with the v-max is similar to yours... when shooting groundhogs, I noticed that all the energy is dumped "internally" and absolutely anchors the groundhog on the spot, as opposed to hollowpoints which seem to have a more external "blowup" effect... they never walk away after a v-max, not even a step!

i use 87 gr. v maxes in my 243 with great results on deer &gh. if its not past 300 yrds they get inside and exsplode i had the same with the 87 gr. bthp years ago

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Nothing wrong. The bullet worked as designed. All varmint bullets are supposed to break up soon after hitting the critter. The small exit hole is because there was only small pieces to exit. Surprised anything exited. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Just as side note. I used to use a 220 swift of jack rabbits and Marmonts. I was snippering Jacks during the heat of the day when they run 200 - 300 yards and then stop to see if your actually after them. Fatal mistake
wink.gif

I was using some kind of 52 grain max velocity bullet. When i pulled the trigger on this big Jack sitting there instead of seeing fur and parts every where it just was acting funny and walking slow on all 4.

I had to see what happened so I killed it with a kick and pulled it's hide off. It looked like it had been hit all over. All I can figure is I hit a tiny limb or branch before it and the bullet broke up into high speed shrapnel.

Bone will make a thin skinned bullet just come apart.

Hey!
For some time ago I tested the 87V-MAX and 90 scirocco bullet on wet phone books.
Both bullets have 1000M/S when they first hit the paper.

I hope you find this interesting, in order to see the bullet-performance of the 87V-MAX and 90scirocco in wet paper.

Her you can see the test media(wet phone book)
091120041947nssbqXdDIchLhoToNL.jpg

The bullet hole, after the bullet went through 200 pages
091120041959EwCgcwdEus3qknAW8j.jpg

The bullet hole entries the second phone book

091120041916IhqrSZaoyWwnmTtNFx.jpg

The bullet hole entries the third phone book
0911200419401loUcfqoffA6iiGLIa.jpg

A picture of the expanded 90scirocco bullet:
The 90scirocco bullet goes through 4.2 phone books, has a spare weight of 81 grains, and an expanded dia. of 21.65mm!!!!!!!!
091120041939rZe7VwgqZKs5lZjM8l.jpg

A picture of the expanded 87 V-MAX bullet:
The 87 V-Max goes through 3.2 phone book, has a spare weight of 22.5grain, and an expanded dia. of 11.87mm
091120041953zFUS1p4pcdalEFVsRP.jpg

[ 11-09-2004: Message edited by: Terje338 ]

Terje--nice work! did the scirroco's core separate from teh jacket?

do you have a close up frontal shot of the expanded bullet?

JB
smile.gif

Hey jb1000br
The lead was still remaining on the jacket,and no sign for any separation!
Here is a pic of the 90 scirocco bullet.
091120042253Ad5pcafaK6Bh567xNv.jpg

Double D My Rifle is a Rem 700 with 26 1/4"BBL with 1 in 10 twist.52grs of H4350 produces 3,600 fps.Behind a Hornady 87gr V-Max.Seated to touching the lands.This load is right at the redline on my rifle.54grs produces 3750fps.However also produces "Flyers".Whats the point of all the velocity if you can't hit the target?So far I havn't done anything with this rifle a 243 couldn't do.This rifle/caliber combo is "picky"When the BBL is shot out ,uncertian if I'll replace it with same caliber.
confused.gif

Nothing wrong. The bullet worked as designed. All varmint bullets are supposed to break up soon after hitting the critter. The small exit hole is because there was only small pieces to exit. Surprised anything exited.

If you want the reverse, then use a conventional softpoint at elevated velocities. Amax or Ballistic tip (hunting variety) would work well.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.