8208 vs Varget

Hello again Randy!

I use 8208 in a heavy 6 BR with a 30" barrel, not exactly the same as your pistol but I believe it will serve your needs as well. I began using 8208 when it was difficult to find Varget. I now have Varget but use it in other rifles.

Loads that are accurate and are currently being used in the 6 BR.

28.9 gr of IMR 8208 XBR with 105 Berger hybrid vel 2825 fps
35.5 gr of IMR 8208 XBR with 55 gr Nosler BT 3900 fps (you should see what this does to the rock rats in our area)

Thanks for the responses guys, I didn't want to argue with my buddy, but thought the same thing.

These days with all the powder shortages, we are all looking at alternatives.

I shoot Pistol Silhouette with a Stiller actioned XP style pistol. It has a 15" 8 twist barrel that is amazing accurate.

For the 50 meter chickens, I have been shooting 68 gr Berger's pills with LT-32. I'm down to my last 1/2 pound. Our State shoot is in two weeks and our big shoot is mid-July. Don't have enough for both shoots.

I have loads for heavier bullets using H335, but at 50 meters they hit so hard the chicken Silo's bounce back up.

I found some LT-30, faster than the LT-32, going to try it. Hope it will works well in a short barrel. Only testing will confirm.

I know I'm being anal, how much accuracy do you need for a target at 50 meters, lol. But if I miss, I want it to be me, not the load.

I love this site, so much info and so many people willing to share and help!

Randy
If I can get you some LT-32, do you want it? I am sure it was sitting on the shelf at my LGS the other day.

IMR 8208 isn't even close to Varget as already posted. Others also mentioned how much they like 8208 for 223 heavies. I tried IMR 8208 with Berger 80.5's, SMK 77's and Hornady 75 ELDM bullets in a M24 contoured 7 twist barrel with uneven results. Also, the biggest problem is 8208 gives very little warning before its pits and blackens your bolt face. Personally I have found H4895 to be an excellent powder for 223 heavies. I know this is a bit off topic

I had a friend that is an experienced reloader make the statement that Varget and 8208 is the exact same powder, just labeled different.

He uses the exact same load with both powders.

Anyone else ever hear this?
Completely false statement. But....They are both very versatile. You can load 223 heavies to 165 gr bullets in a 30-06 with both powders. The max book charge weight with 150 and 165 gr Accubonds shoots sub moa in my 1903a3(30-06) sporterized deer slayer with 8208. And 23.8 grs of 8208 in a 223/5.56 with a 69 gr smk shoots well in every rifle I've tried it in. 8208 is inbetween H335 and Varget I believe as far as burn rate goes. And 8208 works ok in a 6.5 Grendel, but its kinda slow compared to cfe223. But its much more temp stable. Cfe223 is the worst temp sensitive powder I use. But its fast.

I see 8208 everywhere here. Not popular. I don't use it or need it. Was just curious what it's burn rate and application was. I know a little bit now. I know even better I don't need it. Thanks .

Here in Australia where varget is made by adi,its sold locally as 2208.
So maybe your friend read that somewhere but he's dyslexic

I use 8208 in a 223 bolt gun with a 26" barrel and a AR with a 24" barrel with 50 gr v max for Prairie Dogs. It gives 1/2 moa groups in both and 3300 fps. Amazingly enough the exact load works in both.

IMR 8208 is faster then Vargeret and has smaller grain size. Can't get enough Vargeret in .223 case to make it work good with 53 vmax bullets. I too have a nice Weaver T scope but mine is black. IMR 8208 is the poudre of choice for my .20P & .204 & works good at 35 deg C. Vargeret in dyslexic might look like Warget (W sort of looks like double "V's"). Extruded propellants are not made in the USA & must be imported.

Last edited:
CFE has a much slower burn rate than 8208. It beats the crap out of a AR gas system due to high port pressure. 8208 or H335 is much better for 50 or 55's