800 yard rifle

Take a deep breath...relax and get to shooting that 300 win. !
Save all your money for powder , bullets ext and PRACTICE, PRACTICE , PRACTICE and then do it more .

All the bells and Whistles out there wont do you any good if you cant shoot .

Get behind that Rifle and get to work . This long range shooting is a Blast but you have to be dedicated!

Best of Luck to you !

Rum Man

Im a 7mm rem mag fan, less kick and aa effetive on game. Work load with 160gr or 175gr bullet and nothing will stay up after the shot.

Im practicing in f-class with my 308 up to 600yds and feel confident up to that distance. The key is practicing under any condition.

300win is a good option to, just like more the 7mm round.

After reading your post twice I see you dont have time to reload ...looks like to me that's the first change I would make !

That 300 win 215 gr berger and H-1000 seems to be the Cats Meow for the caliber and for hunting deer /Elk .

As stated above the Scope would be a great purchase!
I took my Last Elk at 1244 yards using Burris Xtr 5 x 25 x50 and for a price around $700.00 it's a great Scope !

Rum Man

Here is a link to have custom ammo made. They also have load developement packs. Hammer bullets will do the same thing Ammo quality is the first piece of long range shooting. Good ammo in a inexpensive rifle will bring out the best in the rifle. Inconsistent ammo won't be good enough in the best of rifles

my grandfather taught me to hunt in the 1950's and always told me if what i was aiming at exceeded 200-300 yards in distance i was not stalking properly. he spent a lot of time hunting in africa where he said most shots were '''well''' under 200 yards and in many cases for really large dangerous animals under 50 yards.

since i learned to hunt i seldom ever shoot anything at a distance longer than 200-250 yards. if what i want is 400 yards or longer i will work to get closer rather than take a shot.

Ditto on what Rum Man said above. Practice, and dedication is the key. The 300 win mag is a great cartridge, and will do everything you are asking of it. The Ballistics of shooting are pretty well defined. X velocity - specific BC bullet - in a know environment, will travel a well known path. Learn to read the wind and you will be accuratley shooting at distances you never thought possible. Good luck!

After reading your post twice I see you dont have time to reload ...looks like to me that's the first change I would make !

That 300 win 215 gr berger and H-1000 seems to be the Cats Meow for the caliber and for hunting deer /Elk .

As stated above the Scope would be a great purchase!
I took my Last Elk at 1244 yards using Burris Xtr 5 x 25 x50 and for a price around $700.00 it's a great Scope !

Rum Man
Perhaps I am wrong, but I took it that he does handload but wants factory ammo availability options.
Sure I could step up to the 338 calibers but sticking with 300 WM I already have components to load and if I need factory ammo it's relatively available.
I agree; loading the .300 WM with 215 Berger is golden. However, the OP lives in the golden state (sorry, @KSB) unless he hunts where lead bullets are allowed.

my grandfather taught me to hunt in the 1950's and always told me if what i was aiming at exceeded 200-300 yards in distance i was not stalking properly. he spent a lot of time hunting in africa where he said most shots were '''well''' under 200 yards and in many cases for really large dangerous animals under 50 yards.

since i learned to hunt i seldom ever shoot anything at a distance longer than 200-250 yards. if what i want is 400 yards or longer i will work to get closer rather than take a shot.
that's workable in most cases, but where I elk hunt the oak brush is so thick you would rarely if ever kill a bull trying to sneak on them as you can barely see ten yards in most places, but you can set on one side of a canyon and shoot across, 500 to 1000 yards and kill a bull most years

Good on you! However, let us not forget why @Len Backus started LRH in the first place.

1675522330126.png

Last edited: