$800.00 Max Scope for pradtor/varmint rifle

You should be able to find a nice used Leupold MARK 4 LRT 4.5x14x50 for around $750 to $800 on e-bay. I just sold one for $790. I just saw a nice one on e-bay about a week ago for $775.

Wildcat

I don't like the paying for the name Leupolds. I had a 8.5x25x50MM with Varmint reticle. Including tax that scope cost me a grand. Its optics weren't any better then my 6x24x40MM Baush& Lomb elite 4200. I know there are better scopes out there for same or even a little less if I shop around.I've been thinking of that Maopta what ever? 4x16x44MM 30MM I here they make the Zeiss Conquest lens's.Tech at Rock Creek BBLs says that scope looks as good as a Swavorski pro Hunter. But I had enough of the over priced Leupolds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Have had good luck with Nikon monarchs 6.5x20x44 with fine reticle or the Nikoplex reticle. For the money, a very good scope. Leupolds have been good too but are more pricey.
1kstr

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the paying for the name Leupolds. I had a 8.5x25x50MM with Varmint reticle. Including tax that scope cost me a grand. Its optics weren't any better then my 6x24x40MM Baush& Lomb elite 4200. I know there are better scopes out there for same or even a little less if I shop around.I've been thinking of that Maopta what ever? 4x16x44MM 30MM I here they make the Zeiss Conquest lens's.Tech at Rock Creek BBLs says that scope looks as good as a Swavorski pro Hunter. But I had enough of the over priced Leupolds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 4X16X44 Meopta Meostar and the Optics are VERY good........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mine does not have the target turrets,I think that turret would be a plus......

Take a look @ Bushnells new 6-24x50mm tactical scope. We have some and they look pretty impressive. Can't comment on repeatablility as I've only opened the box and looked @ them. They are about $550.

Iron worker, I do agree. I am sick of the over priced products too! However, I still end up buying them because of the quality. These companies know they have us by the balls and raise the prices every year. For example, I bought my first Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS in 2002 for $1480.00. The same exact scope is now selling between $1750 to $1800, that's about a $60.00 a year price hike. Nothing has changed, to my knowledge, on the scope to warrant a price increase. However, I still buy Nightforce scopes because of the quality. Anyhow, good luck on your scope quest.

Wildcat

For a varmint rifle the Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 is a great scope and will serve you well. The Bushnell 4200 has very nice glass but no target turrets unless the get the latest one mentioned in an earlier post. I don't think you need better glass for a varmint rifle that is used during normal daylight hours and both of these scopes are crisp and bright. If I were choosing, I'd look at those two and then upgrade my base and rings with the left over money.

TAC

TAC

I agree with TAC. I traded a Leupold 4.5-14x40 (HD) about 3 yrs ago for a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 (FC) and have never regretted it. I had it mounted on a Rem. 700 VS in .22-250 until recently. Now I have it mounted on my Savage 110FP in .223 and it continues to perform flawlessly. It came with two sets of turrents, allen wrench and 4" sunshade. I'm not sure why this particular scope isn't more popular than it is. JohnnyK.

For the $$$ your talking about go for the new Bushnell Elite® 4200 Tactical scope
6-24x50mm 30mm tube, Mildot reticle, 50 MOA total travel both ways with 1/4 MOA clicks, 2nd focal plane and ranging would be at the 12 power, and a 3" eye relief. And add a 20-30 MOA Base. That's it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.