8 Out Of 30 At 1760

Love the video's and the quality! Nice Job Mark.

Looks to me that the misses shown were wind related, and wind gets us all.

Hi SB,

Glad you enjoyed the vid and thanks for the encouragement. And the misses
were for the most part shooter's inaccuracies I'm sure.

Love the video's and the quality! Nice Job Mark.

Looks to me that the misses shown were wind related, and wind gets us all.

Agreed. Also like the camera views at the shooters position and the target.

What are the dimensions of your target?

Agreed. Also like the camera views at the shooters position and the target.

What are the dimensions of your target?

Thanks CA48. Silhouette is 2'x3'

Attachments

• 2x3-target.gif
    2x3-target.gif
    540.8 KB · Views: 47
Great video and shooting, i noticed at 2:16 after the dust clears, you can see another small puff behind it from i think the bullet skipping.

That's some awesome shooting, I was even more impressed by your shooting at 2300yrds in the other forum. You've really struck my interest in that Savage BA platform. Have you kept this rifle pretty much the same as out of the box, or have you modified it any to get the accuracy needed at these ranges? I was highly surprised to see one of these rifles at my local Dick's sporting goods store the last time I was in there and for the price you can't build a similar rifle and not spend a fortune. But very good shooting and I hope you keep sharing your films with us all.

That's some awesome shooting, I was even more impressed by your shooting at 2300yrds in the other forum. You've really struck my interest in that Savage BA platform. Have you kept this rifle pretty much the same as out of the box, or have you modified it any to get the accuracy needed at these ranges? I was highly surprised to see one of these rifles at my local Dick's sporting goods store the last time I was in there and for the price you can't build a similar rifle and not spend a fortune. But very good shooting and I hope you keep sharing your films with us all.

Hi Rem700addict. Thanks for viewing and the kind words. 1 out of 30 at 2300 yds. was'nt too good and I have hopes of improving the next time out. But, at least I didn't get skunked and I will say it's quite a distance, but challenging.
I look forward to the next time.

As far as the BA110 goes, I did replace the factory rail that came with the rifle. It had a 20 MOA cant. With my NF scope, I was maxing out at 76.5 elevation and was having to use my reticle hold overs when shooting past 1 mile.

So I did a little research and found some really nice rails made by Murphy Precision. They have scope bases for a lot of different rifles, one being my BA110. MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.

I chose a titanium base that had a 40 MOA cant. A bit pricey but I gotta tell you not only is their craftsmanship beautiful, it matches my rifle perfectly. And with the added cant I got back 17 MOA on my scope giving me 93.5 MOA elevation now. When shooting at 2300 yds. I was having to use 3-3.5 MOA holdovers on the reticle.

If this continues, I may look into a set of Ivey rings which have a 0-150 cant built in. But at $525.00 a pair I have to ask myself, do I really need that much elevation. At least there's another option if needed.
Scope Rings

I'm now to the point where I'm starting to consider replacing my barrel/brake. I'm close to 1,000 rounds down the pipe and was told the barrel life is around 1,500 or so.

I'm considering either a 30" or 31" barrel if and when I do replace it. The extra 4" or 5" will help get me a bit more distance more accurately I believe. But for now, my BA110 is cool. I really dig the .338 caliber though and I've just starting on my load development which is another amazing subject.

All in all, shooting at these distances is really a challenge and I'm very lucky to live in an area that provides me an opportunity to do so.

Best.

Mark

"Shoot Straight & Be Safe"

Mark, I also didn't notice a rifle leveling device on your scope or rail mount I assume that keeping your rifle level comes into play at that kind of range. Could you tell me a little about the tools your using to get on target at those ranges, range finder, ballistics programs, etc. You may have stated this info somewhere else sorry if it is a repeat question, thanks.

outstanding shooting. ive never attemped any shots of this type but the more time i spend veiwing gentlemen like your self i can see changing that. again excellant shooting and an great video

Mark, I also didn't notice a rifle leveling device on your scope or rail mount I assume that keeping your rifle level comes into play at that kind of range. Could you tell me a little about the tools your using to get on target at those ranges, range finder, ballistics programs, etc. You may have stated this info somewhere else sorry if it is a repeat question, thanks.

Rem700addict,

I have a scope bubble on the back of my NF and a bi-pod lock on my Harris
bi-pod. These help keep my rifle level due to the inertia from the .338 blast.
I check the bubble before each shot to ensure my rifle's level.

For ranging, I have a Swaro range finder. Basically, my buddy and I will "leapfrog" ranging from point to point.
I'll be at point A and he'll drive his truck down 300-400 yards. Then I range that distance, move to where he's at and he moves to the next point. I found it to be a little easier this way due to certain topography when trying to range something
at a really long distance.

I have since bought a Garmin eTrex 10 GPS unit. These are accurate within 9' even out to extreme distances. Between the two, it gives me a pretty accurate distance reading.

I have a couple of ballistic apps for my Droid. Applied Ballistics and Shooter are two of them.
There are a lot of free apps as well for both the iPhone and Droid. In addition, I have kept a good record for yardage distances in my data book. Baro pressure, dens. altitude, humidity, temp etc. all help when I'm at a new distance for reference.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.