8-3/4lb 300 PRC too light?

TBuckus

I'm looking to build/buy a new rifle for hunting, with emphasis on lots of long range practice.
My hope is to have a decently light (not lightweight) hunting rifle that when practicing long range, I can spot my shots.

My 300 PRC is 8 lb 2oz. With my brake on it is extremely wast to shoot. I had my little nephew shooting it and he is under 100 lbs and didn't have any issues with recoil.

Nope sounds good mine is 6.5lbs
You are able to hold enough preload on your bipod to spot your hits with a 6.5lb rifle? That seems Uber light.
and for clarification. 8-3/4 includes scope/rings/rifle minus bipod and full mag

To be honest I haven't got enough time behind it to answer that. It's a very light rifle. Only steel in it is the barrel blank inside the carbon. All else has been made of ti. Lots of custom work.
I did add the eh5 to add a bit of stability. Also I have a amazing ti slab brake and a can. Both help.
My guess is it will be right on the edge of being able to spot shots. Probably will be able to at 400 plus.

I would think your weight will be fine. As it is a big struggle to drop the extra weight from 8.5 to mine.
And to be clear mine is right around 7.5 with scope. I'm going off memory of bare rifle With everything but scope. I have a march coming now which should add just over 1lbs.
I'll try and get a finished weight today.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.