7x64 v 280 Rem.

Topshot

I am looking at a light weight mountain rifle in 7mm. For use on Elk size game.

The 7x64 cartridge and 280 Remington are two candidates that interest me in a light rifle.

Has anyone any experience with the 7x64. It seems that the factory loads and reloading manuals load this cartridge way below its true potential. Why? Good quality brass is available from Norma.

If you had the choice between the two which would you choose? or should I pick another cartridge?

i have a 7x64 in a mauser model 66 that i brought back from germany with me some years ago.
i also have a 280ai, and between the 2, i'd go regular 280, as brass and if needed, factory ammo is readily available.
7x64 is pretty pricey, if i remember correctly. i do have a stash, if i ever want to pull the old girl out of the safe and load some up for her.

ballistically, they are darn near identical in performance. i load 55.5 grains of imr4350 under a 139 btsp, for around 3,000 fps, in the 7x64. now remember this is in my gun and is safe in my gun. if you have a 7x64 start lower and work up please.

go 280 and don't look back...

hth

Bear in mind that many of the reamers for the European chamberigns are very long throated, so you need to bear this in mind if considering magazine length and you have a desire to load close to, or on, the lands- which many of the higher BC bullets seem to like. (Although I'm experimenting with way bigger jump too right now).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.