7WSM Performance

Troy

What velocities are people getting with this cartridge with what length barrels and how much powder? I am most interested in the heavy VLD type bullets and longer tubes (approximately 30".) Would 3000 plus fps be unreasonable to expect with a 180 gr Berger, JLK, or a 176 Cat. and a 30" tube?

I have two 7 wsm with 28 inch tubes on them. All I shoot are 180 bergers. They are extremly accurate and carry lots of long range punch. I know use IMR 5010 with a compressed load of 74.0 grains.With a velcioty of 2900 FPS and no pressure. I used to use RL 25 but is is like pistol powder in my guns. Use either retumbo or something slower. You should be able to get 3000 FPS with retumbo. But IMR 5010 shoots great and has no pressure. It is also around $4.00 a pound. Thanks Reed
smile.gif

Reed what is your reamer based on? Is it the SAAMI 7WSM, the .270 WSM necked up, or the .300 WSM necked down?

What was your RL-25 load? I just want to see how much powder one has to pack into this little beasty. I am trying to figure out if this cartridge has any merit over my much loved 6.5/.284 for long range paper punching and plate shooting.

If I can get 3000 fps with the 7WSM and 180 VLDs without having to burn a substantial amount of powder this cartridge may be worth my attention.

Mine are SAAMI 7 wsm. My load with RL 25 was 60.0 grains, but it has pressure problems in my guns. 66.0 grains of retumbo worked grat in my guns with a vel around 3000 fps. The case will hold 74.0 grains of powder, just touching the bottom of the neck. With 5010 my cases bon't stretch,shoots good, and you can use your brass forever. With 7 wsm you be gaing long enery and the 180's are around .7 B.C.. Shooting paper with .7 BC and 2900 to 3000 fps is nothing to laugh about. it is an accurate well balanced cartidge it is well suited for long range bench rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.