7wsm/7 mag

bretterath

I ordered a 7mm barrel for a build what would u prefer 7 mag or 7wsm, I was planning on a 7 wsm with a long action with 168 bergers, now if I changed my mind to a 7 mag would I still be able to run 168 burgers in there with out having problems with feeding more than one into the mag or are they going to be too long

I ordered a 7mm barrel for a build what would u prefer 7 mag or 7wsm, I was planning on a 7 wsm with a long action with 168 bergers, now if I changed my mind to a 7 mag would I still be able to run 168 burgers in there with out having problems with feeding more than one into the mag or are they going to be too long
This is heresay, but my rifle builder kind of talked me out of a 7 WSM because he said they are harder on barrels so I went with another 7RemMag and have no regrets at all. I have a Krieger barrel on it and **** it shoots the 168 Berger very well. 7RemMag takes long action mag bolt face. No worries. My 7 is second from top

4newrifles-1.jpg

The target with 168 Berger/Retumbo. Black square is 1":

7mag168BergerVLD730grRetumbo100yards.jpg

I may eventually build a 7WSM. If I do, I'm going to use a barrel I've never used before like a Brux, Rock, or Schneider polygonal. Gary returned an email to me and he wrote I'd be looking at about 8 weeks on a barrel. I was reading on 6BR about a guy who used a Schneider barrel and said it was his favorite.

BTW, in that pic above with my 4 new rifles, that top one is a 6.5-284 and that Leica scope on it kicks all kinds of ***, FYI.

I'll be buying about 3-4 more of those. They have some agreement with Aaron Davis because it has a G7 reticle

Derek M I'm building a hunting rifle in a 7mm do u think a wsm has any more advantages over the 7 rem mag, are you seating those 168's up close on the lands and have no problems putting them in the mag and not single feeding them. What does your 7 mag weigh. I'm trying to build a light long range rifle.

Well the reported advantages of the WSMs is no belt and short n fat is better than long n skinny. The proof is on the paper target so I say ********. Put together quality components and have an expert smith build it. I've never had a problem with a belted case. Not sure how much my rifle weighs but obviously with the NF NXS on it it's heavier than the other three pictured. Personally I see very little advantage to the WSMs.

Last edited:
My bullets are .010 off the lands. They fit the magazine. Of course I told the builder the intended bullet too so he chambered it accordingly

Last edited:
When I first started shooting Bergers, I always had them at or into the lands even up to a 10 thou jam. They never did as well compared to off the lands for me.

Last edited:
Derek, that's one hell of an accurate 7mm mag! I am have a rifle re- barreled to that caliber, which I hope will be done in about 3 months or so. I am going to be using the 180 Berger VLD's though.

I have a 7 WSM that shoot's lights out, not as accurate as your 7 mag though, it's anywhere from a 1/2"-3/8" gun, still very accurate though. It's a sweet shooter using the 162 A-Max, 168 and 180 Berger VLD's! Once I get the 7mag I will be able to compare the two.

Derek M thanks a lot for the info really appreciate it. What is your C.O.A.L on your 7 mag with the 168 bergers.

Before you build anything go here and read:

7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

I have in my inventory a 7MM WSM and had I not had my head up my *** and followed through with more research prior to building up this rifle I would have selected the 7MM Short Action Ultra Mag. It will use less powder but give outstanding performance shooting the 185 gr. VLD bullets and WILL GIVE longer barrel life than the 7MM WSM! The WSM has one problem that I do not care for which is a very short neck and to be able to use the magazine in the short action rifles the bullets have to be seated too deeply within the case. In over 60 years of long range shooting and hunting I have always found that best accuracy was obtained with the pressure ring of the bullet being slightly forward of the SNJ aka shoulder/neck/junction. Shooting Nosler 150 gr. VLD bullets through this rifle I have, in order to use the mag well the base of the bullet has to be seated well below said SNJ. With that being said...the accuracy of the rifle is superb. I fired 12 rounds through it last date from 600 yards in a ladder test and total vertical dispersion was 1.750". I do wish however that I had gone with the 7MM SAUM for the above stated reasons.

Good luck sir on your build!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.