7WSM, 300WSM or 300WM

Also, in my research, I've been reading that it would be better to go with a case that doesn't have a belt. Why?

The reason for this is the fact that when a case head spaces off the belt, it is prone to case separation just forward of the belt. After as little as two or three firings, it may show signs of incipient separation. In other words, it comes down to case life.
This can be alleviated by adjusting your sizing die to let the case head space off the shoulder rather than the belt.
Most FL dies when screwed into the press to touch the shell holder and allow the "cam over," will push the shoulder of the case back far enough that the case then head spaces off the belt. By adjusting the die to NOT push the shoulder that far back, you eliminate the problem.
It helps if you have a head space gauge to get your die set up properly.

I only neck size in my 7RM and 300WM, these are hunting guns so they dont get shot that much, brass life is not a concern. I do however chamber every finished round through the gun, every now and then I get one thats snug....I use those for zero checking, and usually chunk it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts