7stw forming die

bushwackr

Hi all. I'm considering buying a hydraulic forming die from hornady. Brass is hard to come by. I can make brass from others by fireforming. Being as components are hard to come by hydraulic forming sounds like a better idea. Has anyone used one or know of a better one than hornady?

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
Hi all. I'm considering buying a hydraulic forming die from hornady. Brass is hard to come by. I can make brass from others by fireforming. Being as components are hard to come by hydraulic forming sounds like a better idea. Has anyone used one or know of a better one than hornady?
Hornady (and other die manufacturers) custom dies should serve you well. Make sure you provide a set of brass (3 for most die makers) shot off your chamber. I had John Whidden build my custom hydraulic forming die, and custom reloading die set for my .30 LARA custom rifle.

Last edited:

MagnumManiac

With a belted mag, it is far simpler to just use COW and a fast pistol powder.
I do this on several wildcats.
I have ONE hydraulic forming die from Whidden also, I do not use it very much as I can’t stand the mess it makes or the need to dry cases afterwards.
This is not to take away from your idea, just throwing this out there.

Cheers.

eshorebwhntr

I'd just work up a load and go. 300 H&H or 300 Wby will work fine. Not sure where you're at on barrel life but I'd buy a 200ct lot, probably take 20-40 to fine tune your load, then you've got the balance to enjoy. Then once they're all fully formed you can work up your load

jasonco

LRH Team Member
I'd just work up a load and go. 300 H&H or 300 Wby will work fine. Not sure where you're at on barrel life but I'd buy a 200ct lot, probably take 20-40 to fine tune your load, then you've got the balance to enjoy. Then once they're all fully formed you can work up your load
^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once you get your load, you're done, no need for anymore development with 7STW! I had 140NBT, 160SGK & 175SGK loads (still do actually) and that was it. The 160SGK did most of the, devastatingly, dead right there killing!

Lefty7mmstw

I've always just either bought or fireformed my 7stw brass- never went to a hydro die... I like the mild load after necking, but have used cow (actually farina as I had it lying around) and pistol powder... The cow method will make your barrel rather filthy so there really isn't a free lunch there.

Tac-O

I am also considering a hydro die from one of those two.

I think whidden and Hornady are the two main ones (that I know of). From what I've read, I think some people have had issues with the oring in the whidden (but I could be wrong on brand). Do a search for that specifically and see if you find anything

Recent Posts