7STW 9.25” twist OK for 180’s?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
Is a 9.25" twist in a 7STW fast enough for 180gr Bergers?
I have not even fired this rifle yet, just pondering what will/won't work.

Cheers.

180 Edlm work in a 9.25 at 4500 ft for us in multiple rifles. I would think Berger's would do the same, never tried the 180 Berger's. Really like the 175 EH Berger's tho.

Running Berger 180 VLD's in a Remington 700 lr 7mm rem mag, 3040 fps using rl26, they are stable and accurate out to at least 1200 yds. We are also at 7000 ft elevation. Check your stability using Berger's calculator.

Thanks gents.
I did look up Berger's website, but seeing that I run my loads at sea level and then hunt at elevation, around 3,500', I was not sure if it would work.
Have no interest running Hornady bullets and if the 180gr Berger's aren't easy to get here I will be running either 168gr or 175gr ABLR's as I know they're available.
I've NEVER run a 7mm before, I like my 6.5's,
30's, 33's & 37's more.
Seeing the rifle came with a 7mm barrel and I'm putting another 264WM together I thought I'd run the factory barrel for craps & giggles...who knows, I might like it.

Cheers.

It seems the 7's really fall of when you slow to a 10" twist. I had a 10" twist tube on my 7stw when I got it; I could never really get anything over 140 gr to shoot well. The 9'ish" twist will usually shoot up to 180 grain rather well and both of my 8" twist rifles will shoot anything I shove in them stable... My 7stw with a 8" shilen tube still seems to like 140-150 grain pills better though. My 7rum is running 175 eld-x really well. I picked up a Tikka 7rem last fall for my boy with the factory 9.5" ? twist and it loves factory 175 Winchesters. My boy, not so much; I'm loading a mild 140 grain load for him at present.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.