7SAUM Build - who would you call first?

Brightwhite

I think I have my heart set on a new build that will be a purposely built backcountry backpack gun to cover me from high country Deer & Elk to sheep & goats.

I have reached out to two reputable gun builders and both pushed me almost immediately to the 7WSM over the SAUM and a medium length action. I am pretty set on a short action with the build components below to run 168-175gr bullets in the SAUM. It seems that both builders have not had great luck with the SAUM and it turned out to be pretty finicky. Who is the 7SAUM expert builder out there? I do not want a bunch of trouble with this gun because I was married to the chambering and short action, but didnt listen to the experts...

Here is what I am thinking.

Lone Peak Fusion titanium or Defiance Anti-X in the short action foot print
22" Proof, Carbon 6, or Bartlien carbon barrel (will run suppressed a lot of the time)
XLR Element 3.0 magnesium in SA with folder & carbon components
175gr ELDX or the 175 Berger Elite hunter

Who would be on your speed dial to do the build?

WTO is building me one right now should be ready next week, its actually a switch lug configuration, 7MM SAUM and 257 Weatherby barrels on the same chassis. 26" Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrels 7.5 twist. Clayton makes some pretty fine rifles. I highly recommend West Texas Ordinance, Akerly, TX. SAUM is better than the WSM and if you don't like SAUM the its easy to ream to the 7MM Sherman its just a little faster.

Dallas Lane - Lane Precision
He Built my 7 Saum. Shoots as good as it looks. No problem shooting small. Likes 155 Hammers and 175 Berger's.
LPA Ti medium
26" Proof 1-8
Wyatts box
BF300818-CDCB-42B7-ADBF-ABDC48E8D551.jpeg

WTO is building me one right now should be ready next week, its actually a switch lug configuration, 7MM SAUM and 257 Weatherby barrels on the same chassis. 26" Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrels 7.5 twist. Clayton makes some pretty fine rifles. I highly recommend West Texas Ordinance, Akerly, TX. SAUM is better than the WSM and if you don't like SAUM the its easy to ream to the 7MM Sherman its just a little faster.

Thanks for the heads up on West Texas Ordiance...I have heard of them and will contact them.

...It seems that both builders have not had great luck with the SAUM and it turned out to be pretty finicky. Who is the 7SAUM expert builder out there? I do not want a bunch of trouble with this gun because I was married to the chambering and short action, but didnt listen to the experts...
The target community across the planet have a very different experience.

It is unusual to find an F-Open rifle in 7 WSM, there are far more 7 SAUM F-Open rifles on the line because the cartridge is a better mousetrap for accuracy. Still far from a common F-Open chambering though.

Nothing wrong with the saum. Not finicky at all. Several shooters at the 1000 yard range are doing very good with them. Some have mentioned doing a regular long action for it. I agree with them. You can long throat the 7saum and it will perform better and if you want a longer round later you have the room. The long actions are not much longer or heavier than a medium anyway. Nothing wrong with the 7wsm either. You will be happy either way.
Shep

I'm going to switch from the 300wsm to the 7saum for next season. I have a brand new 1.450x36 in barrel ready to go on. Just got my reamer a few days ago. Barrel only weighs 17 pounds. Stock is 55 pounds of pure aluminum. All up with scope it's 77pounds. The 7saum ballistics are much better than the 300wsm. I wouldn't hesitate building a hunting rifle in one. Well actually I would because my 6.5saum rocks. But for long range big game the 7saum should do very well. Great brass available now for the saums also.
Shep

I basically own the rifle you describe. Plus one on mid-length action! Only adding an ounce or two and .2 inches. My SAUM is on a Borden ti mid length and it allows me to run the berger 175-195 at optimum neck/shoulder junction where as, the short action will not. 175 at 3005 out of a 24" barrel (7.1# with scope) is good medicine for a hiking rifle.
Another suitable builder for this project would be mark bansner at bansner rifles. Good luck!

Recent Posts