7SAUM Build - who would you call first?

I am building my own 7 SAUM light weight rifle right now. It is with an Impact Precision 737R action, Manners EH6A stock, Bix'n Andy 2 stage trigger, Hawkins Precision Bottom metal, accurate 3 round mag, 1-8.7 24" Bartlein 2B fluted and cerakoted, and a Micro Bastard Gen 2 brake. Southern Precision (bugholes) did the barrel work and my local gunsmith is doing the pillar bedding. I sent the stock to Custom Gun Coatings for a custom camo paint job. I should have it all assembled and ready to roll in a week or two.

If you do go with the LP mid action, which I also recommend, you will not be a able to use the XLR Chassis as they have not come out with that offering yet.

this is essentially the build I am/was considering. Talked to Dallas, among others. More than a couple have somewhat steered me away from the chassis part of it, toward a traditional stock. Cold, rattles, very thick when folded and therefore some packing issues, having to store the mag or keep track of it, and a rattling magazine were issues I have heard.
Anyone have any thoughts on that piece of it?
None of those are true except maybe the rattling magazine if you force it to move. I just did a hunt in New Mexico with a rifle built on a XLR Magnesium chassis and had no issues. I believe it comes down to perception versus reality between traditional and chassis. The chassis has so much more versatility with fit is why I went in that direction, and the magnesium chassis is only a few more ounces in weight than say a Manners EH1. Good luck on your choice. Either will be a winner.

I think I have my heart set on a new build that will be a purposely built backcountry backpack gun to cover me from high country Deer & Elk to sheep & goats.

I have reached out to two reputable gun builders and both pushed me almost immediately to the 7WSM over the SAUM and a medium length action. I am pretty set on a short action with the build components below to run 168-175gr bullets in the SAUM. It seems that both builders have not had great luck with the SAUM and it turned out to be pretty finicky. Who is the 7SAUM expert builder out there? I do not want a bunch of trouble with this gun because I was married to the chambering and short action, but didnt listen to the experts...

Here is what I am thinking.

Lone Peak Fusion titanium or Defiance Anti-X in the short action foot print
22" Proof, Carbon 6, or Bartlien carbon barrel (will run suppressed a lot of the time)
XLR Element 3.0 magnesium in SA with folder & carbon components
175gr ELDX or the 175 Berger Elite hunter

Who would be on your speed dial to do the build?
Call benchmark, talk to ron. If you want a short barrel, 20in or shorter u are not getting alot more out of a short mag then a 7 08. Dont take my word, research it. I love my rem ti action 7 08 with 18 inch barrel. .5 min gun. Loves 168 bergers.

That 6.5saum is a great round. I can't believe how accurate it is also. My hunting weight 6.5saum shoots in the 1s regularly. It is fast becoming my favorite round. However I do expect the 7saum to be just as accurate and probably more versatile for hunting larger game.
Shep
Im really liking my 6.5 saum. Not very finicky at all. I'm hoping to have my 7mm SS up and running sometimes next month.

this is essentially the build I am/was considering. Talked to Dallas, among others. More than a couple have somewhat steered me away from the chassis part of it, toward a traditional stock. Cold, rattles, very thick when folded and therefore some packing issues, having to store the mag or keep track of it, and a rattling magazine were issues I have heard.
Anyone have any thoughts on that piece of it?

I have an XLR 3.0 chassis already that I have a bunch of range time and a hunt with it. I would disagree with everything but the cold comment. It does get cold on your hands but when hunting I use a kifaru gun bearer on my pack, so I don't notice it unless I am strapping it in the gun bearer and need my gloves off for dexterity.

Mine doesn't rattle, locks up unbelievably tight with the folder...it's super nice. I have 3 diff magazines and none rattle and I haven't ever even considered that to be an issue at all.

If you took a tape measure to it the it is for sure thicker, but I have had zero issues strapping it to the side of my pack. I did a mule deer hunt with my 6.5 creed in it this year and had 5 days of gear and food going in, tagged out opening afternoon, so had 4 days of food, gear, half the deer, and the head and had zero issues getting everything a fixed in and on the pack.

Folded down with a 20" barrel and a ultra 5 on the end it comes up to about my ear level, so super nice on pack in's and outs when you're going over and under trees and timber pockets.

Travis Redell with RBros, my buddy just had a 7SAUM built and the thing shoots lights out, same ragged hole at 100y. Over 3000fps with Berger 180's in a 26". Dropping off my defiance ruckus SA, 26" proof 8.4 twist, AG chalk branch adjustable in a few weeks for my own 7SAUM.

I have talked to RBros before about another build I was thinking about, I will have to give him a call again, was very helpful last time.

Lots of the 7ss mentions on here, it's on my radar for sure. I didn't want to go true wildcat, but I'm heavily considering it.

If you do go with the LP mid action, which I also recommend, you will not be a able to use the XLR Chassis as they have not come out with that offering yet.

Yep already spoke with XLR and they are working on it, but have not set date that it will be available. I know they are at a 12+ week lead time right now, so my guess is if that starts to cut to say 4 weeks then it might be closer. I want to stick to a short action, then I can still drop my 6.5 creed into the chassis as well if I want.

Last edited: