7RM rechambered to 7STW?

MH WASH

Locally there is a Rem 700BDL that has been rechambered to 7STW. It's one of the older stainless with the factory blueing. I haven't gotten a whole of specifics from the seller yet. Is the 7STW worth while in a 24" barrel? Is the factory twist fast enough for the 175 eldx or Berger 180?
Comes with 160 loaded rounds, assuming reloads and RCBS dies. Also has a throwaway scope on it, and a synthetic stock, but I don't know the make.

I'm mainly looking for a 7 mag that I can shoot for a few years while I build up funds for a custom barrel and stock. Does this rifle sound like it's worth it, or should I just buy a 7RM and be done with it?

If I was buying an STW I would definitely want a 26" (at least) barrel. Factory twist is probably 9.5", not really ideal for those long bullets unless you are at high altitude.

Double check on recommended twist rates for the bullets you are looking at. The Factory STW's were made with shooting 140-160gr class bullets in mind. You can probably stabilize anything up to and including the 168's but might be marginal over that.

I wouldn't pay a premium for the rifle but if the price is right it's a nice action to build off of in the future. If it is a good buy and shoots for you, then at worst you're limited to the light and mid range bullets until you get around to rebarreling.

she'll probably be just fine at 24" but I'd opt for a bit more if/when you build.
My Pop's bdl-dm really has a 25" bbl. and you really do not notice a speed change to a longer bbl.. I also had a modded bdl 7stw with a 24" bl. and she was a bit slow with some loads and just fine with others. There were reasons I killed that rifle and re-built it ( build quality and 10"twist primarily) but barrel length was not one of them...

If the price was right id buy it, being an older action it would have a good trigger after tuning. With that cartridge you could lose some velocity and still have a good gun. Id be carefull with the ammo though, at least pull some bullets and check it out. Id also be seating all the others a little deeper before shooting them due to a possible case weld issue with the bullets. After a few years sitting they tend to do that, and it acts the same as an over load if shot.

she'll probably be just fine at 24" but I'd opt for a bit more if/when you build.
My Pop's bdl-dm really has a 25" bbl. and you really do not notice a speed change to a longer bbl.. I also had a modded bdl 7stw with a 24" bl. and she was a bit slow with some loads and just fine with others. There were reasons I killed that rifle and re-built it ( build quality and 10"twist primarily) but barrel length was not one of them...
When I had a 24" 7STW it ran 140 Accubonds at 3514FPS, my 26" would average 3625fps.
Built one in 2015 from a new take off 7mmMag BBL, easy to rechamber to 7mmSTW, Shoots like a dream!

Locally there is a Rem 700BDL that has been rechambered to 7STW. It's one of the older stainless with the factory blueing. I haven't gotten a whole of specifics from the seller yet. Is the 7STW worth while in a 24" barrel? Is the factory twist fast enough for the 175 eldx or Berger 180?
Comes with 160 loaded rounds, assuming reloads and RCBS dies. Also has a throwaway scope on it, and a synthetic stock, but I don't know the make.

I'm mainly looking for a 7 mag that I can shoot for a few years while I build up funds for a custom barrel and stock. Does this rifle sound like it's worth it, or should I just buy a 7RM and be done with it?

When I had a 24" 7STW it ran 140 Accubonds at 3514FPS, my 26" would average 3625fps.
Built one in 2015 from a new take off 7mmMag BBL, easy to rechamber to 7mmSTW, Shoots like a dream!
at what pressure? 3600 fps from a 7stw is over pressure from a 26" pipe with any available powder.. it takes 60 Kpsi or so just to get 3350 fps from a 140 with rl25, and that's a double based powder that fills the case...

I guess I'd need it explained very slowly to me why i would want to use a 140 gr in a 7 STW anyway?
time of flite... my 7stw is my spot and stalk rifle and I can put the scope on said critter, rise up a bit (if needed), and let fly to 1/2 mile and have a dead critter without worrying much about wind or drop on a mid range shot... no screwing around dialing or tossing the rifle on bags, etc. ( I have a pair of 300rum rifles eating 225's if I want to go far-- working on a 7rum with 175-180 grain pills too)... I've head shot the last two bucks I've shot with my 7stw- 200 and 300 yard shots offhand... my avitar is the 300 yarder...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.