7rm max range for whitetail

rickdavis81

What would you say is the 7mm Rem Mag's max range for effectiveness on whitetail deer? Considering perfect shot of course. Our big deer may get to 225 field dressed weight. I'm not saying I'm planning on shooting one at a 1000. It's more out of curiousity. And what type of bullet would you use? 162gr A-max? Thanks for feeding more curiousity.

Just running the numbers quickly I think you would be safe at 1000 with bergers 180 vld or possibly the a-max or even sierras 168 but also there will be the factors of your elevation bbl length etc.

If you can get 2950fps with the 180's or better no problem. In the lighter bullets 3100 or better would get it done. Much less in either weight starts to question bullet performance

friend has a recorded kill 1040yds out of the box 40XB-BR 7rem mag, 175 sierra gameking, premier 14.5x35 12 years ago. took time and afew misses, but he killed a deer, had the kill on tape here someplace.

I shoot a Rem Sendero in a 7 mag w/ 140 btsp sierra at 3200 fps I killed a buck that field dressed 215 lbs at 620 yds dropped him in his tracks he rolled down the side of a hill kicked 2times and was dead. The bullet rifle combo worked great. completre pent. massive internal damage, and quick death.I know that the distance wasnt that great , but heck we got to start somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.