7rm all-round bullet

175 Nosler ABLR . From 30 to 870 yards on elk deer and goats get consistent performance every time. Quit using the 180 vld for hunting after using these.
I've heard a bit about meat damage and bad performance on elk close range with the ablr. What is your thought on that?

There are a lot of options you want, and getting the best for all of those performance criteria for me in one bullet. Anything above 1800fps impact velocity is in range for me. In order of the more popular bullets today what ever one is the most accurate 160Partition, 160AB, 168ABLR, 155 T Ascent, 162ELDX. I have shot animals with target bullets and re-labeled target bullets with terrible results. Nope, not going to again if I have another choice.

Don't worry about meat damage up close, if you're rifle is a accurate as everyone claims theirs are(0.5" or smaller gross at 100yds) , just shoot them in the head with the long range hunting bullets. For the long range target/ steel who cares how the bullet performs, aside from accuracy.

I've heard a bit about meat damage and bad performance on elk close range with the ablr. What is your thought on that?
They have been good for us. Have shot elk at 30 yards 3100 fps with them with minimal meat loss and blood shot. Berger would of made a awful mess . I have tested them a lot and have not had one come apart yet. Always mushroom and get lots of penetration. No pencils either .

Don't worry about meat damage up close, if you're rifle is a accurate as everyone claims theirs are(0.5" or smaller gross at 100yds) , just shoot them in the head with the long range hunting bullets. For the long range target/ steel who cares how the bullet performs, aside from accuracy.
I totally agree and every person who shoots crap exploding non penetrating bullets always does this. Especially if its a monster or the only one they have seen all season. They either only shoot the instant death head shot or perfect broadside only double lung shots. Anything else they always pass and let it go....I'm 100% correct I know and you agree with me I'm sure of it. LOL...yes that was some light sarcasm.

I have been shooting and handloading a 7 rem mag since I was 14 years old and I will be 54 in about a week. Tried many bullets over the years and have found the accubonds to be about the best all around bullets from near to far. I will admit though that I do not shoot long range and by that I mean over 500 yards.....but for all of my practical hunting distances, I love me some accubonds.

It's expensive for shooting steel like you say but the federal trophy bonded tip and newer terminal ascent bullets are probably the most likely to satisfy the "all ranges all species" parameters you lay out regarding terminal ballistics.

Berger 180 Hyb @ 2996fps MV.

60 yards (note blood trail behind her, 40 yard mad dash)
20161015_075520.jpg

Exit
20161015_104453.jpg

662 yards
20170929_202307.jpg

Exit, about silver dollar size, bull went 40 yards, chunks of lung blowing out the mouth I assume
20170929_212636.jpg

120 yards, quartering on hard, no exit
Cow went 20 yards
20191019_172902.jpg

160gr Accubond.
I have been shooting and handloading a 7 rem mag since I was 14 years old and I will be 54 in about a week. Tried many bullets over the years and have found the accubonds to be about the best all around bullets from near to far. I will admit though that I do not shoot long range and by that I mean over 500 yards.....but for all of my practical hunting distances, I love me some accubonds.
IF, strictly Hunting, Elk or, Moose, I would HIGHLY suggest, the 168, 175 or 180 grain, Berger Hunting VLDS or, Classic Hunters !
They will usually Kill Better and shoot more ACCURATELY at LONG Range ( could be, "Hard" on Deer Meat, up CLOSE, tho ! )
But throwing, the Smaller and more Fragile, Deer into, the Mix, the Harder and LESS "devastating", AccuBonds, as stated, by the ABOVE ^^ Two, posts would BE, My Choice for, an "ALL around", Bullet !
I Shot an Elk, in Northern Arizona with, a 140 gr. AccuBond at, CLOSE Range and it did NOT, "destroy" very much, Meat !
I prefer Bergers NOW, for longer Distances and DRT on, Elk, in my .270 WSM as, three Weeks ago, I squeezed the Trigger on an Elk and instantly Hooves / Heels ( DRT ) with, a 140 Berger Classic !
But, I have, a lil' 6.5 Creed,.. for Deer !

Last edited:
I would develop 2 loads. 1 for long range target since you have a great twist for the heavy vld, Smk types, and 2, I would have a hunting load with a Hammer Hunter and drive them fast. There is little meat damage with the Hammers.

Ya, that's what I was thinking. But I thought that switching between 2 loads woulda kinda complicate things. Whats your system for that?