7rm all-round bullet

abdul-hannan

Hi, I've been looking to see what a good everything bullet for a 7rm when I say everything I'm talking everything from whitetail at 60 yards to elk at 600 to steel at 1200. I have been looking at the Berger 168 grain vlds but I have heard stories of too much meat damage and inconsistency at close range. So what I've been wondering is whats your experience? would I be better served with accubonds? should I stick with the vlds? what about accubond long range?

Lefty7mmstw

An all in one bullet like that is a tall order. I have been loading my kid's 7rem with a 140 Sierra pro hunter, but that one will run out of steam before 1200; the longest kill I've made with that pill was out of a 7rum at 3400 fps at 1/2 mile. I'd think of a fast twist barrel and something like a 175 eld-x... I've been driving that to 2850 with a mild load from my current 7rum and have 250 and 500 yard kills with it on mule deer... It's been fine so far. A 60 yard shot will be hard on that bullet unless you run it through the slats though...

Shane Lindsey

My one and only bullet so far has been the 190 LRHT (my first 7mm RemMag).

2835 FPS from a 26" barrel. I figured up close there is enough to make a mess and out far, well plenty for that too...

MagnumManiac

I’m using the 168g ABLR in my 7STW, it’s all I could get at the time, they perform very well for me, both in accuracy and terminal performance. I cannot fault them.
I also have the 175g ABLR, but still working on a load.
I moved away from Berger bullets, had several failures in 3 calibres. Not all the time, but enough to make me second guess them. The worst have been the OTM for me.

Cheers