7RM 131 HH load data

Sounds like it'll be a fun hunt! I figure if my Dad gets some good practice with a good load he should fill the doe antelope tag. No idea how the cow elk tag will go, I've heard the roads turn to mud if it rains, so getting to the higher portions of the unit can be difficult.
Yes but 73 has a LOT of road. You can stay on blacktop if it's wet. If you haven't been there before, you'll can't imagine how many pronghorn you'll see. I overlooked that it is a doe tag. Better bring a fishing rod and some prairie dog loads too. He could be done hunting before his 1st cup of coffee is gone. I don't have any advice for the cow tag. I'd spend some time studying up on that. The antelope is a given.

Mn_hntr----------I'd be all over H4350 and IMR 4831. One of them should perk well and give you plenty of speed.

Where did your dad get his lope permit, way cool that he did and I hope you get to hunt with him! What I wouldn't do to be able to hunt with my dad one more time:)
I have always had good luck with 4350 in the big7 but I was shooting 140 grain bullets.

All apologies to the OP as I have no intention of derailing you thread, But Are you saying that I'm leading him astray and putting him in Danger, Did you try Retumbo with the Hammers ? Are you saying that IMR4831 is an "abnormal powder" for the 7mm in that caliber ?, Most all load development with Hammers over a 5 grain spread shoot sub MOA so the accuracy node is irrelevant and EWIW I personally have never looked for an accuracy node, Load to pressure, back off a gran and let her eat , Yeah it's that easy and they shoot that good
I've only got one rifle that "load to pressure, back up a grain and let her eat" does'nt work in. But this gun is possessed and my priest has been too busy to perform the exorcism. Get a Christensen they said, will shoot great they said. 🙄

Hammer Hunters were easy to load for but have never loaded for the Absolutes. I did two different powders with the 7mm 169 gr Hammer hunters and both times, I did pressure tests until I saw the ejector mark on the case. I then dropped 1 grain of powder and both shot very well with low ES. 20 rounds shot total. 10 rounds for RL 26 and 10 rounds for RL23.

Last edited:
I got out to the range today to test out the HH. Prior to shooting the 131 HH I took two shots with a 150gr ELD-X going 2828fps resulting in a 5" horizontal spread at 100yd. This was disappointing as the last trip to the range I had a 2moa group when I tested this load. My future father-in-law thought the rifle barrel was worn out after those shots.

I then switched over to the 131 HH and performed a 5 shot ladder test starting with 60gr of H4350.

COL: 3.303"
Primer: Remington 9 1/2 LRMP
Powder: H4350

60 gr, 3062 moved zero a few inches after the shot
61 gr, 3097 no pressure
62 gr, 3155 no pressure
63 gr, 3174 noticed recoil, very minor indent on primer, slight pull on trigger press
64 gr, 3222 small indent on primer

To my amazement the Hammer bullets worked in this finicky rifle, plus the barrel isn't shot out. All 5 shots were close together even with different powder charges.

The couple of questions I have before my next range trip are:
At what point do you stop increasing your charge?
Do any of you choose a less hot load? For this rifle 62.0gr or 62.5gr of H4350.

Attachments

• PXL_20210717_042829238.jpg
    PXL_20210717_042829238.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
I got out to the range today to test out the HH. Prior to shooting the 131 HH I took two shots with a 150gr ELD-X going 2828fps resulting in a 5" horizontal spread at 100yd. This was disappointing as the last trip to the range I had a 2moa group when I tested this load. My future father-in-law thought the rifle barrel was worn out after those shots.

I then switched over to the 131 HH and performed a 5 shot ladder test starting with 60gr of H4350.

61 gr, 3097 no pressure
62 gr, 3155 no pressure
63 gr, 3174 noticed recoil, very minor indent on primer, slight pull on trigger press

To my amazement the Hammer bullets worked in this finicky rifle, plus the barrel isn't shot out. All 5 shots were close together even with different powder charges.

Run up until you see an ejector mark or fell the bolt lift get heavy and back off 1 grain

61 gr, 3097 no pressure
62 gr, 3155 no pressure

Next time try not to fire conventional bullets in the barrel immediately before the hammers. Conventionals will leave copper and the hammers may not perform as well because of that. Clean all the copper out THEN do Hammer load deveopment. Makes a difference. As far as less hot load, yes. Accuracy trumps speed. But when you can have both might as well have that cake and eat it too.

Next time try not to fire conventional bullets in the barrel immediately before the hammers. Conventionals will leave copper and the hammers may not perform as well because of that. Clean all the copper out THEN do Hammer load deveopment. Makes a difference. As far as less hot load, yes. Accuracy trumps speed. But when you can have both might as well have that cake and eat it too.
ShoNuff

Just getting back from the hunt with my Dad. Ended up loading 62.5gr of H4350 with the 131HH as my Dad liked the recoil with that load. Chrono-ed the load at 3155fps and it was the first time my dad was able to consistently ring the 300yd steel with his Ruger!

We ended up with a 3/4 of mile stock on some antelope and he a great shot from a pseudo prone position at 244yards with a sustained 20mph crosswind. The antelope stood there for a few seconds and collapsed!

I want to thank everyone for their input.

Just getting back from the hunt with my Dad. Ended up loading 62.5gr of H4350 with the 131HH as my Dad liked the recoil with that load. Chrono-ed the load at 3155fps and it was the first time my dad was able to consistently ring the 300yd steel with his Ruger!

We ended up with a 3/4 of mile stock on some antelope and he a great shot from a pseudo prone position at 244yards with a sustained 20mph crosswind. The antelope stood there for a few seconds and collapsed!

Freaking awesome, Congratulations

Nice!!! But...
You can't post this without the Hero pics...Don't leave us hangin...

My buddy got one picture pre-shot and then I got one walking up to the antelope. Unfortunately I forgot to take any picture of the bullet damage, the bullet passed through and there was a lot of organ damage when we went to remove the guts.

Attachments

• PXL_20210919_192211694.jpg
    PXL_20210919_192211694.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20210919_191136221.jpg
    PXL_20210919_191136221.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 60