7rem mag to 300 ultra

tired

just bought a used sendero for $450 (like new) in 7mm rem mag. I would like to change it to 300 ultra mag or 300 tomahawk.What needs to be done to the action to make this work? It appears to feed a 300 shell. Has anyone used the bottom metal and clip from HS on a sendero(direct bolt on?)?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess a little bit.

The bottom metal should be fine. Think you'll need to replace the magazine box and follower. I think the shoulder on the ultra will be too big to feed well, you'll either need an ultramag box and follower or you'll need to convert to a single stack. (Uck.)

Best way I know to do all this is call the remington parts number and order what you want.

A friend o' mine has converted a couple rifles. He buys 700 ADLs cheap and converts 'em to whatever. I'm not sure how the magazine stuff will work out 'cause he's into this single shot stuff, target guns rather than hunting guns.

TOM got most of it.
The feed rails will need to be opened upin the action a bit. A RUM mag box and follower will be needed or the HS detachable FP with the correct RUM mags will work great. The rear bridge of the receiver has a dished spot on the inside that helps with ejection that will need to be opened up a bit also.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.