7prc precision hunter recoil

Something about this is not checking out... my 300PRC chucking a 212gr ELD-X at a shade over 2800fps (that's almost 4000ftlbs of energy) through 24" Bartlein carbon running an Area 419 hellfire (basically a ripoff of the APA design) kicks about like my suppressed 308 AR10 does and noticeably less than my 280Remingon (no brake/can).

Add to that, that Hornady Precision hunter is usually on the mild end for factor ammo (usually 100-150fps slower than I can get with handloads in the 4-5 calibers I have run it in personally)... If you were talkking about Superformance on the other hand, that stuff is almost unshootable in the couple of rifles I made the mistake of trying it in (308 and a 30-06, made my eyes water)... still though, APA is one of the most aggressive (read effective) brakes out there, so not sure what's up here.

Just curious, but did you chrono the stuff?
I chronographed the factory stuff. Hornady says 3000 fps with the 175 out of a 24" barrel. Yeah right, I got 2840-2870 out of a 26".

By the way the brake i was using was a APA gen 3, switched to a APA gen 2 which is a 3 port compared to a 4 port of the gen 3. Now it's much better, some reason the gen 3 wasn't doing what brakes are meant to do

Something about this is not checking out... my 300PRC chucking a 212gr ELD-X at a shade over 2800fps (that's almost 4000ftlbs of energy) through 24" Bartlein carbon running an Area 419 hellfire (basically a ripoff of the APA design) kicks about like my suppressed 308 AR10 does and noticeably less than my 280Remingon (no brake/can).

Add to that, that Hornady Precision hunter is usually on the mild end for factor ammo (usually 100-150fps slower than I can get with handloads in the 4-5 calibers I have run it in personally)... If you were talkking about Superformance on the other hand, that stuff is almost unshootable in the couple of rifles I made the mistake of trying it in (308 and a 30-06, made my eyes water)... still though, APA is one of the most aggressive (read effective) brakes out there, so not sure what's up here.

Just curious, but did you chrono the stuff?
I agree, something wrong. The 419 HELLFIRE in my opinion is the best.
I think I would check the recoil lug , is it bedded, sounds like you have movement in your stock. IMO.

I chronographed the factory stuff. Hornady says 3000 fps with the 175 out of a 24" barrel. Yeah right, I got 2840-2870 out of a 26".

By the way the brake i was using was a APA gen 3, switched to a APA gen 2 which is a 3 port compared to a 4 port of the gen 3. Now it's much better, some reason the gen 3 wasn't doing what brakes are meant to do
Dumb question, but was the Gen 3 taken off of your 300PRC? If so that might explain it somewhat, especially if your Gen 2 was a tighter .284 bore for your 7mm

Also, 175gr bullet at 2800fps should be tolerable even without a brake unless we're talking lightweight rifles.

You just have a slow barrel I guess. I just shot mine yesterday and was getting 2920 to 2955 fps out of a 24" barrel.

I have a semi custom 7PRC built, model 70 push feed, 24inches barrel, 8twt, on a laminate thumb hole stocky stock, TI- pro #4 muzzle brake, shooting 175 factory ammo, recoil is like a 243. Bedded, Timney trigger 1lb. My only complaint is Hornady brass, 2 firing and primer pockets are shot. I would look at bedding your stock.

I have a semi custom 7PRC built, model 70 push feed, 24inches barrel, 8twt, on a laminate thumb hole stocky stock, TI- pro #4 muzzle brake, shooting 175 factory ammo, recoil is like a 243. Bedded, Timney trigger 1lb. My only complaint is Hornady brass, 2 firing and primer pockets are shot. I would look at bedding your stock.

We almost have the same rifle haha. Mine is on a Tikka action with a Mesa precision stock, 24" carbon barrel and the same brake as you have.

This is why I will no longer try a different brake. The only brake we use now is a Pain Killer. It is not worth the money to re-time a nother brake when the first one stinks. I think there is a few brakes that work very well and then there is the rest that reduce a bit of recoil.

This is why I will no longer try a different brake. The only brake we use now is a Pain Killer. It is not worth the money to re-time a nother brake when the first one stinks. I think there is a few brakes that work very well and then there is the rest that reduce a bit of recoil.

I still have a Vais brake on a HEAVY 6.5x284 from the early days but quickly progressed to Kirby's "Pain Killer" brake for my custom RUM builds. His side port brakes have holes in the top, which was controversial at the time. Decades of brake enhancements have gone by and the Pain Killer is still one of the best brakes IMO. However, having a self-timing brake is a big advantage, and my most recent purchase was a SRS Ti-Pro self-timer. This brake will go on my new 7PRC. Hopefully the smith will be calling me soon.

I run a 300 win mag shooting 215 Bergers @ 2850-2950 with a APA LB gen2 and it has the recoil of a 243. I run a 338 RUM shooting 300 Bergers @ 2775 with a APA FB Gen 3. We literally put 60-100 rounds through it at a time. You can spot your shots at 1000 yards with it. Both rifles weigh around 9-10lbs. I would not think the PRC would even come close in recoil to either of these. APA breaks are the best money can buy in my opinion. I have them on 4 rifles. They work! Something doesn't add up? It sounds like a fit and finish issue to me or a form issue? The rifle you described is light but it still should be manageable. Recoil should be half what it is without the break. Everything written about APA breaks suggest that they reduce recoil by as much as 55% or more. Somethings not right??? I don't think it is the cartridge or the break???

Recent Posts