7prc precision hunter recoil

Dmagna

So I got me my 7 prc barrel the other day and finally got around to shooting it. It's a 26" carbon six Bergara prefit in a manners LRH stock triggertech diamond and an apa brake.

Anyone else notice this ammos recoil is insane? Kicks harder than my 338 lapua by far. I can usually sit all day shoot but this stuff smacks. Hopefully when I switch powders it will settle down because dang.

That's not what I would expect. I've never shot a 7PRC, but I own a 7RM and my understanding is they are at least close when it comes to ballistics/recoil. My 7RM doesn't have a break and isn't bad to shoot. I've shot other 7RM's that also had a similar felt recoil.

Possible issues are your rifle is extremely light and/or doesn't fit you well for recoil dispersion.

That's not what I would expect. I've never shot a 7PRC, but I own a 7RM and my understanding is they are at least close when it comes to ballistics/recoil. My 7RM doesn't have a break and isn't bad to shoot. I've shot other 7RM's that also had a similar felt recoil.

Possible issues are your rifle is extremely light and/or doesn't fit you well for recoil dispersion.

I have to believe that one of these things may be your problem weight or perhaps stock fit. If it's weight related…..Physics is Physics! 😉 memtb

I have a 300 prc in the same build. This 7prc kicks like my lapua. Trying a new brake tonight, maybe my brake sucks.

All brakes "suck"…..but, that's another topic, for another day! 😂

You say the same build. I know that this sounds pretty wild……but, do the butts/butt pads have the same angle!

When I first got together with my future wife, I was gonna build a good load for her Ruger Model 77 (the old tang safety) 270 Win. It was much more painful to shoot from the bench than my .375 H&H. I was quite shocked. After some looking/studying I figured out that the butt stock angle had been alter by her "ex"when he shortened the stock to better fit her…..he must've really hated her! 😁

I recut the stock to alter the angle…..it tamed it a great deal. Then I installed a Pachmyar Decellerator……then it became a real "putty cat"to shoot! 😉 memtb

So I got me my 7 prc barrel the other day and finally got around to shooting it. It's a 26" carbon six Bergara prefit in a manners LRH stock triggertech diamond and an apa brake.

Anyone else notice this ammos recoil is insane? Kicks harder than my 338 lapua by far. I can usually sit all day shoot but this stuff smacks. Hopefully when I switch powders it will settle down because dang.
Something about this is not checking out... my 300PRC chucking a 212gr ELD-X at a shade over 2800fps (that's almost 4000ftlbs of energy) through 24" Bartlein carbon running an Area 419 hellfire (basically a ripoff of the APA design) kicks about like my suppressed 308 AR10 does and noticeably less than my 280Remingon (no brake/can).

Add to that, that Hornady Precision hunter is usually on the mild end for factor ammo (usually 100-150fps slower than I can get with handloads in the 4-5 calibers I have run it in personally)... If you were talkking about Superformance on the other hand, that stuff is almost unshootable in the couple of rifles I made the mistake of trying it in (308 and a 30-06, made my eyes water)... still though, APA is one of the most aggressive (read effective) brakes out there, so not sure what's up here.

Just curious, but did you chrono the stuff?

Last edited:

Recent Posts