7PRC loads & velocities

KSB209

What sort of loads and velocities are you guys seeing with the 7 PRC? I'm sort of toying with the idea of replacing my 300 WM with the 7 PRC but what wondering what is real world experience with different bullets out there. How hard can you push Hammers in the 140-150 grain and bullets like the Accubond and Hornady SST in the 150 grain? Just curious if you see much difference in the 7 prc compared to the 300wm with bullets in this weight.

Hornady says their 7prc ammo can push 3000fps in the 175 grain eldx but from what I've heard the factory ammo isn't reallly close to that

I fail to see the advantage of this cartridge over other 7mms like the Saum and wsm. These velocities are easily achieved in both
Factory ammo and factory chambered rifles. That's the advantage. If someone is a reloader with custom rifles, that advantage doesn't apply. If someone is wanting a factory rifle, 7SAUM/WSM don't apply.

One of my gunsmith contacts has been getting some really impressive results with the 7 prc. On a 24" barrel with N570/195 EOL's seeing 2930-2940's. On 20" barrel builds with N560/180 VLDH seeing 2850's. That's all on a new broken in barrel with fresh load development. With the right combination of components they're encroaching 28 Nosler speeds with 195's and as good or a little better speeds than a 7 saum still on the short barrel builds. The 7 prc is a very efficient cartridge. Love my 7 saum still, however one of the new 7's may get added to the collection when there's more brass options available.

Not that I want to really give up my 300wm but I need or want a new rifle. I was toying with the idea of a light weight 300wm but the new "fancy" PRC is interesting to me

It's very intriguing! I'm wanting to do a 20" suppressed build when brass becomes available. It's a standout in all categories though regardless of barrel length or how you want to set it up.

I'm very curious how hard and fast you can push the Hammer bullets in the 7prc. They say speed kills with the hammers so can you get the 140'ish grain class of Hammer Hunters up to 3300'ish FPS? I would think it would be possible but would really like some real world experience.

I'm very curious how hard and fast you can push the Hammer bullets in the 7prc. They say speed kills with the hammers so can you get the 140'ish grain class of Hammer Hunters up to 3300'ish FPS? I would think it would be possible but would really like some real world experience.
With a 140 AH, I get 3300 FPS out of my 23" long barrel 280 AI. So yes 3300 FPS or more is obtainable with a 140 gr bullet. The new 132 or 145 HHT might be a nice fit for the PRC.

One of my gunsmith contacts has been getting some really impressive results with the 7 prc. On a 24" barrel with N570/195 EOL's seeing 2930-2940's. On 20" barrel builds with N560/180 VLDH seeing 2850's. That's all on a new broken in barrel with fresh load development. With the right combination of components they're encroaching 28 Nosler speeds with 195's and as good or a little better speeds than a 7 saum still on the short barrel builds. The 7 prc is a very efficient cartridge. Love my 7 saum still, however one of the new 7's may get added to the collection when there's more brass options available.
Good info on the N560. May give that a try.

Recent Posts