7mmSTW vs 7mm remington ultra mag

I'v had both, and they both deserve a custom magnum action! The 7STW was on a Sav110 long with .250 removed to use at full length+ with 175SGK. The 7RUM was a factory BDL and Remmy could'v done a little bit of clearance work, to fit long heavies properly. I'v since settled on the 28 Nosler.

What facts ?
Let me think .. the fact that its been proven time and time again with a variety of bullets and powders by many well know smiths around the country .. the fact that yes the STW is a great round and I've had my hands on plenty of them built right and they shoot outstanding.... but the FACT still remains constant that I've had them both side by side built to optimize the 195's and feed through a 4.00" wyatts mag box the 7 rum wins every time!!

Let me think .. the fact that its been proven time and time again with a variety of bullets and powders by many well know smiths around the country .. the fact that yes the STW is a great round and I've had my hands on plenty of them built right and they shoot outstanding.... but the FACT still remains constant that I've had them both side by side built to optimize the 195's and feed through a 4.00" wyatts mag box the 7 rum wins every time!!
Let me think, The OP made no mention of the 195's ( He did mention 168's)and while I'm sure you are correct with all the custom stuff and a 4" mag box as you said "Done Right" it will out preform the STW ( But I suspect it's a minimal gain) , I'm assuming that the OP has no intention of going to these lengths as he made no mention of it but I very well could be wrong , for SAAMI, so once again we are back to square one with " Your Opinion" and before you ask, Yes I have had both several times over

Its not a minimal gain i can assure you.. in any bullet weight... he stated he was "building a 7RUM" so if the Building process didn't involve maximizing the rum for what its capable of then I guess your not actually building it too its full potential! even with a 168 berger there will be a substantial velocity gain and the original post he wanted and unbiased opinion which I gave by having had both "built right" too the full potential of either round and I didn't bad mouth either, hell I like the STW but I stated it by fact of having them both "built right" to their full potential. So yes FACT is the 7rum in any form will out perform the dandy 7stw.

it boils down too powder used .. the ole tried and true just doesn't work in big cases to its full potential

Last edited:
Its not a minimal gain i can assure you.. in any bullet weight... he stated he was "building a 7RUM" so if the Building process didn't involve maximizing the rum for what its capable of then I guess your not actually building it!!! even with a 168 berger there will be a substantial velocity gain and the original post he wanted and unbiased opinion which i gave by having had both "built right" I didn't bad mouth either, hell i like the STW but i stated it by fact of having them both "built right". but yes FACT is the 7rum in any form will out perform the dandy 7stw.

it boils down too powder used .. the ole tried and true just doesn't work in big cases to its full potential
Once again it's your opinion but let me get get this straight, If he's not building it to your specs or the way "You" think is the best he's not building it right?, That's Borderline Legendary pre qualification prerequisite right there

Once again it's your opinion but let me get get this straight, If he's not building it to your specs or the way "You" think is the best he's not building it right?, That's Borderline Legendary pre qualification prerequisite right there
😂 😂 😂 🤦‍♂️ oh give me a break dude .. of course its my opinion everyone has one ,,, and i edited my comment too what I was actually trying too say .. but let me ask you this.. if you were "building" a 7rum or 7mm stw or a 7-338 lapua improved or 7-300 norma improved or anything of this case size or even a 7rsaum .... wouldn't you build it right from the get to get optimal performance out of it ?? or no? that's all I'm saying. so wouldn't that mean to the specs that everyone is capable of not mine alone?? to ultimately achieve greatness with said rounds?? or do we just build guns to sammi specs and hope for the best LOL????

The OP asked for a non biased opinion based on experience with both which I gave in a simple statement based on actual facts that I've attained personally .. which apparently went against your biased opinion

and done right means a lot of things, powder choice, brass choice, primer choice, etc. not just the rifle

Last edited:
Well velocity does in fact rule.
But if were going to be using 190 gr bullets, it also rules out the 7mms, including the Rum.
And the same can be said of the 300 gr bullets of coarse.
The term 338 in and of itself, dosent quite cut it either.

My old factory 7 Rum 26 inch barrel
96.5 grs of RL 25
180 Sciroccos
3625 fps
My friends 7 stw could not get there, even with a 27 1/2 inch barrel.