7mmSTW vs 7mm remington ultra mag

The 7x300 Wby. is the cartridge that ended the life of the 6.5x300 Wby for long range hunting in Pa in the early 70s.
Reason being that Hornady had introduced the 162 gr bthp match bullet.
Later the STW came along which was created by using the 8mm mag case.
The 2 cartridges are pretty much twins as for performance.
Used only for hunting they will last a lifetime.
The 7mm ultra on paper at least will have a slight velocity advantage over both.
Im still using the same 30" Hart 9 twist barrel Howard Wolfe chambered for me in 1973.
Back then there were very few suitable powders, and many of us used H870.
89 gr with the 162 gr bullet would produce about 3200 in my gun except on very cold days.
About 15 years ago i switched to 7828 powder and picked up alot more velocity.
Using the same bullet 3350/3400 isnt a problem.
Go slowly because the door slams fast and hard with that powder.
As for bullet weight with any of those cartridges, we find that the 162 gr shoots flatter at 1200 yards than the 180 Berger does.
In other words it takes less clicks on the dial.
If you havent actually done an actuall comparison i suggest you do before just assuming the heavier bullets will outperform the lighter ones.
At some point of coarse they will, but fact is that it will be beyond 1200 yards.
Which brings up the question of how far is too far for those cartridges?
My longest kill to date was 1200 yards with the 7x300 Wby.
That distance is also considerably further than most long range kills are made.
But i personally wouldnt be using that cartridge for another shot at that distance.
So my question is why the need for the heavy bullets for a 7mm?
In my opinion its because BC sells bullets.
But without the velocity, its just BS.
If you have one of those cartridges i suggest you go try what ive said before commenting.
To your point, my longest shot was at a p dog at 1472 yds. I was using Sierra 168gr HPBT match bullets. Don't remember the speed. This was back in the early 80's with the STW.
Since the Hammers came out I am 100% a convert to lighter and faster. The results are just too impressive (and lethal)! I love my 7 RUM so much I WILL rebarrel it when I burn this one up.

To your point, my longest shot was at a p dog at 1472 yds. I was using Sierra 168gr HPBT match bullets. Don't remember the speed. This was back in the early 80's with the STW.
Since the Hammers came out I am 100% a convert to lighter and faster. The results are just too impressive (and lethal)! I love my 7 RUM so much I WILL rebarrel it when I burn this one up.
I knew I could convert ya

The 7x300 Wby. is the cartridge that ended the life of the 6.5x300 Wby for long range hunting in Pa in the early 70s.
Reason being that Hornady had introduced the 162 gr bthp match bullet.
Later the STW came along which was created by using the 8mm mag case.
The 2 cartridges are pretty much twins as for performance.
Used only for hunting they will last a lifetime.
The 7mm ultra on paper at least will have a slight velocity advantage over both.
Im still using the same 30" Hart 9 twist barrel Howard Wolfe chambered for me in 1973.
Back then there were very few suitable powders, and many of us used H870.
89 gr with the 162 gr bullet would produce about 3200 in my gun except on very cold days.
About 15 years ago i switched to 7828 powder and picked up alot more velocity.
Using the same bullet 3350/3400 isnt a problem.
Go slowly because the door slams fast and hard with that powder.
As for bullet weight with any of those cartridges, we find that the 162 gr shoots flatter at 1200 yards than the 180 Berger does.
In other words it takes less clicks on the dial.
If you havent actually done an actuall comparison i suggest you do before just assuming the heavier bullets will outperform the lighter ones.
At some point of coarse they will, but fact is that it will be beyond 1200 yards.
Which brings up the question of how far is too far for those cartridges?
My longest kill to date was 1200 yards with the 7x300 Wby.
That distance is also considerably further than most long range kills are made.
But i personally wouldnt be using that cartridge for another shot at that distance.
So my question is why the need for the heavy bullets for a 7mm?
In my opinion its because BC sells bullets.
But without the velocity, its just BS.
If you have one of those cartridges i suggest you go try what ive said before commenting.
You sir are the first to even mention a cartridge that i should like to put a gun around one that has always intrigued me because of it's up and down popularity and apparent disapearance. The old 8mm mag as a young guy i hunted quite a bit with an old 8mm Mauser turkish rifle it was but i never did shoot a mgnum in that 8mm chambering always thought that would be one heck of a long range rifle

No one here will ever advocate hunting at the 3000Y ... Sam knows better too.
I understand that and i do apologize feenix i of course will beat on alot of plates of steel as far away as I can become acurate enough to take down an animal ethicaly boyond that i will probably never shoot but it is very impressive to see what these high powerd extremely predictable cartridges can do in the hands of a very good shooter

I picked up a 2nd gen sendero back in the winter and put a leupold vx6hd on it shot it for the first time yesterday.zeroed it with Remington 150 scirocco bullets I really liked it and last group at a hundred was one ragged hole

I guess that's why the 7 RUM has all but disappeared, Yeah it's a tad faster but with all that freebore they didn't impress too many folks, Most all of us tried the 7 RUM. The STW is still the King
Not supposed to mention this but the absence of the belt on the RUM is a big plus. Or should I say the belt on the STW is a negative. If reloaded several times, the belt and the web will swell and is very difficult to resize. Also causes extraction difficulties when swelled. I had big Weatherby that cracked two bushing dies trying to size the belt and area just above the belt. I chambered two or three STW's but brass was available then. If going with a belted cartridge, make sure your chamber is not "fat" in the back of the chamber or problems will occur

Thanks im building a 7mmRUM right now but i was curious about the stw just because ive heard it mentioned quite a bit. The rum im building we are just working up some load data on it and tried it with 168gr bergers just for their reputed accuracy. We've chronographed the load at 3240 to 3260 with the 1/9.5 twist 26" barrel the two cold bore shots i took with it went through the exact same hole no widening of the hole or anything. My reloading guy says we should try a few tenths of a grain up and down from that load .im not sure you can get better than perfect but hes adamant about it. But as you were saying im surprised at how deep were having to seat these bergers. We are also using h1000 and 87 grains of it
I own all three of the big 7's 7 RUM, 28 Nosler and a couple 7 STW's out of all of them I prefer the STW! It's the easiest to load for and the most accurate of the three. They are all pretty much overbore rounds. I run the same Bullets in all three with the same powders, either Retumbo which is my go too or H1000. I have replaced barrels on all three a couple times. Currently all three are running 28" Bartlien heavy sendero. I shoot both with and without a can. I run either the 168 gr Nosler ABLR or Berger 195 EOL all running the 168 ABLR at 3352 fps the Berger is limited to 3,200 as they will not stand up to higher velocities! I have pushed the 168's faster in all three chambers but that's my sweet spot. The STW is 0.25 MOA, the RUM 0.75 MOA and the 28 Nos is right at MOA. All three have taken elk over 1K. The RUM tends to go through barrels the quickest!