7mmSTW vs 7mm remington ultra mag

You sir are the first to even mention a cartridge that i should like to put a gun around one that has always intrigued me because of it's up and down popularity and apparent disapearance. The old 8mm mag as a young guy i hunted quite a bit with an old 8mm Mauser turkish rifle it was but i never did shoot a mgnum in that 8mm chambering always thought that would be one heck of a long range rifle
Actually the history behind the 6.5x300 Wby is quite interesting.
It all started in the early 50s when Norma introduced a new 6.5 139 gr match bullet at the Camp Perry matches.
It was at the time the highest BC bullet available.
A long range target shooter by name of Wright from NM who apperently had some type of work relationship with Wetherby had an idea that coupled with the 300 Wby case it would be an awsome long range target round.
So he designed a reamer and chambered a gun for it.
A Pa gunsmith by name of Alex Hoyer somehow heard about the cartridge and contacted Wright regarding him getting the reamer.
An agreement was reached that the cartridge would be called the 6.5x 300 WWH, meaning Wetherby, Wright, Hoyer.
So although Hoyer poplarised the cartridge especially in Pa where it was by far the most popular L/R cartridge for several decades, he was not the actual creator of the cartridge.
Hoyer died in 1970 and at that time the new Hornady 162 gr match bullet was fast changing the scene for L/R hunters in Pa. Today if you were to make the rounds of the popular locations there you probably wont find any at all still in use.
It cant do anything that a 7mm cant do better.
And that cant do anything that a 30 cal cant do better.
And it goes on from there so long as it uses lots of powder.

By the way, the 139 gr Norma match bullet that got the whole thing started, was not even a legal bullet to use in Pa due to it having a metal jacket.

No experience with the RUM, but I've owned an STW since they first came out. Last year I built a Senduro with a Broughton(?) barrel. I also have lighter BDL (walk around) rifle. They suit my wants and needs so I don't see any reason to get a RUM. I have all the brass I'll ever need. I also have all the .300 RUM brass I'll ever need. Throw in my .26 Nosler, and I just can't see adding a 7mm RUM. Sorry, I really can't give you an unbiased opinion.

Honestly, do you think a hit in the basketball sized chest cavity of an elk will notice the difference ??? In my opinion, it won't and I'll throw in the plain Jane boring 7mm rem mag in the comparison also...a great bullet traveling in the 2800-3100 area will handle anything you can hit with one....too much expense and drama with the first two for my liking, I guess a true 7mm fan will just love en' all....

Honestly, do you think a hit in the basketball sized chest cavity of an elk will notice the difference ??? In my opinion, it won't and I'll throw in the plain Jane boring 7mm rem mag in the comparison also...a great bullet traveling in the 2800-3100 area will handle anything you can hit with one....too much expense and drama with the first two for my liking, I guess a true 7mm fan will just love en' all....
Nope they won't know the difference and once again The OP never mentioned a 7mm Mag, He doesn't want run of the mill 3100fps, He wants a RUM or a STW that sets his hair on fire, You can live on the Borderline or you can just be a Board

Nope they won't know the difference and once again The OP never mentioned a 7mm Mag, He doesn't want run of the mill 3100fps, He wants a RUM or a STW that sets his hair on fire, You can live on the Borderline or you can just be a Board
I don't see the OP objecting to the mention of other cartridges, so I don't understand why you feel compelled to do so ad nauseum. It doesn't seem to bother anyone else when a thread deviates from the OP, nor is anyone "hijacking" the thread by simply bringing up points to consider in the debate at hand.

A few years back I done a fair amount of loading and shooting for the 7mm STW, 7mm RUM and the 7mm Weatherby mag. I came away from it with the feeling that the 7mm Weatherby was the best of the bunch. Was really surprised at the velocity I got out of the 7mm Weatherby. JME

I don't see the OP objecting to the mention of other cartridges, so I don't understand why you feel compelled to do so ad nauseum. It doesn't seem to bother anyone else when a thread deviates from the OP, nor is anyone "hijacking" the thread by simply bringing up points to consider in the debate at hand.
Well if we are gonna do that lets bring the 300 Rum in to the story and be done with, and it bothers a lot of people but they just ignore it for the sake of not starting a dumpster fire, The debate at hand is

7mmSTW vs 7mm remington ultra mag,

Not the 7 Mag or the 27 Nosler or any others, But Nauseum........ I like that, That's how a lot of us feel when you see the words " Why not just use this or Why would you want to do that " As You Were

When its been shot i was very careful to not heat it atal 1 shot every 15minutes or so and it is shockingly acurate im going to dope it out to 1200yrds once my scope shows up for it and sell it ready to go with 100 rounds of loaded shels and the dies will go with it boyds laminate thumbhole stock with a mercury tube in it its kicking about like a 270
Heck I can't believe I read all of this thread. I swear it like going shopping for a new pair of shoes with my wife. "Which do you like best honey?"
LOL
Here's the deal cowboy, I've the 7RUM, and love it, got a buddy with the STW and he loves his.
So post some pics of the thumbhole and put a price on it. I'm Interested for sure.

This is why "I" never ask what rifle to build or buy.

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

I'll have to disagree, as I said earlier, a bunch of us had them and they just don't work. On paper it should but in the field the STW is still the King
Curious, when you say "they just don't work", what does that mean. Also, I'm curious how in the field the STW is better. Maybe some evidence or more explanation on what exactly that means.

Curious, when you say "they just don't work", what does that mean. Also, I'm curious how in the field the STW is better. Maybe some evidence or more explanation on what exactly that means.
A bunch of powder for a minimal gain over the STW, The 7 Rum while a fine round borders the diminishing returns mirroring the Hot Tamale, then add in all that free bore that is necessary and there you are, once again it's a great round ( I have had 2ea of them) but IMO ( and that's all it is) the STW is more efficient, I've killed critter with both and once again IMO the STW was the clear winner

A bunch of powder for a minimal gain over the STW, The 7 Rum while a fine round borders the diminishing returns mirroring the Hot Tamale, then add in all that free bore that is necessary and there you are, once again it's a great round ( I have had 2ea of them) but IMO ( and that's all it is) the STW is more efficient, I've killed critter with both and once again IMO the STW was the clear winner
That makes more sense to me. I'm curious though why you believe the STW killed game better than the RUM.