7mmMag--7 STW--7 ULTRA MAG--7WSM--Which best...

Dust270WSM

Which do yall think is the best of all these?? Wanting a flat shooting hard hitting rifle that I can use on whitails elk and steel at long ranges. I have vortex viper pst 6X24X50 I'm putting on it so I have the optics. Just need the rifle. I have owned by Mag and like it but my buddy has some STWs and the ballistics on it are impressive!!! Just not easy to find unless I build it.

As much as I like the 7mmRM, vote's gotta go with the 7mm STW.

I own 2 of each, and have had four 7RM's. You can't go wrong either way, but if you want the unique and cool route, that can sling 180's over 3,100 fps, the STW is the way to go.

Which do yall think is the best of all these?? Wanting a flat shooting hard hitting rifle that I can use on whitails elk and steel at long ranges. I have vortex viper pst 6X24X50 I'm putting on it so I have the optics. Just need the rifle. I have owned by Mag and like it but my buddy has some STWs and the ballistics on it are impressive!!! Just not easy to find unless I build it.
"Best" is very subjective and relative to many criteria.

I have owned and shot all of the rifles on your list except the 7mm wsm.

I can afford to shoot what I want although I am not a wealthy guy.

I currently own 4 7mm STW's and have another on the way.

Why?

It just does absolutely everything I want a rifle to do in at least 90% of the situations where I want to use a rifle at all.

The 7mm RM will do almost everything the 7mm STW will do at the same ranges but it is a hair light on gas at long range.

The 7mm Rum will do anything the STW will do and do it with a little more gas but that extra velocity comes at a high price in recoil, muzzle blast, and expense.

Of all the 7mm's out there I just find the STW to have the best combination of characteristics to suit my needs.

If you can't settle on which 7mm suits your needs best just go buy a 300wm and don't look back HA! gun)

I was wondering how the 300wm stood up t o the 7s!!!!
Pretty damned well. Not as flat shooting but carries more energy at long range when both are shooting heavy for caliber bullets.

The real advantage of the STW is it's being a flat shooting thumper to 600yds but quite capable of taking any N. American game out to a 1,000yds as well.

The 300wm can extend that range by a couple of hundred yards pretty easily.

I've taken deer at 1,300plus with the STW but I would not attempt the same shot on an elk whereas with the right rig and bullet I would with the 300wm.

[FONT=&quot]All the 7mms' you name will fit the bill, and many more to find in both America and Europe. I wouldn't choose the 7WSM from the list, because both the 280AI and 7x64 Brenneke are at least as capable without the disadvantage of the ultra-fat case and problematical supply with factory ammunition. Personally, I do miss the powerful 7WBY, a good alternative too. I've had the opportunity to shoot it lately and was very impressed.[/FONT]

Pretty damned well. Not as flat shooting but carries more energy at long range when both are shooting heavy for caliber bullets.

The real advantage of the STW is it's being a flat shooting thumper to 600yds but quite capable of taking any N. American game out to a 1,000yds as well.

The 300wm can extend that range by a couple of hundred yards pretty easily.

I've taken deer at 1,300plus with the STW but I would not attempt the same shot on an elk whereas with the right rig and bullet I would with the 300wm.

+1! I was blessed with a bull elk in 2013 at 931 yards with my .300 Win Mag pushing 190 Berger VLD at 3043 FPS.

Here the biggest issue that I see, if your reloading which I assume, is componets. First there is brass, what rifle will be the easiest to find brass, second is powder, and third which bullet you are going to want to shoot. As one of the other guys had posted, each caliber has a little more octane than the other. If it was me and if you could wait that long I would see what the 28 nosler will have to show for as brass, reloading dies, and then with this rifle I would suspect probably it will be designed to shoot the 168 and the 178grn ABLR for as a twist rate on the barrel.Unless you a building a complete custom rifle. Also there is supposed to be a 195 berger coming out. Now if the 195 can be launched around 3100fps and with the BC somewhere coming in around .800 then it will be basically equal if not better in retained energy than a 300RUM with a 230 berger at 2950 which is what I get out of my sendero now. Now saying this that is a lot of if's. I'm not sure but I think the 7RUM could launch one this fast but it may need a longer barrel than 26 inches. So it all a personal preference when you start considering what you want to do and then how often do you want to shoot, and how far, and with the brass and powder hit and miss now days well that something else. It is getting better but its not good and it seems it will be along time before it is great.

I was just looking for a sender SFII in 7mm RUM or STW but after looking for components for reloading I didn't find much at all. I have owned a 7mm rem mag in the past but looking on line I did find brass atleast for the rem mag. Brass for the stw or RUM I couldn't locate anything.

So what did I just do,,,, I just bought a NIB REM 700 Sendero SFII 7mm rem mag.

Can't wait to get started

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts