7mm08 Vs 7saum

Well I pulled the trigger on the 300 WSM!

and a side note. Arken (an optic company that makes respectable budget optics) spun up another company. They have what amounts to a free barrel promo going on right now (or chassis) https://www.getoutlier.com/products/pre-fit-precision-barrel
You have to purchase an optic and use promo MEMORIAL (ends tomorrow I wanna say or today not 100%) Figured I'd roll the dice on a free barrel. Push come to shove I'll re-sell the optic or upgrade my boys optic with it.

After I shoot it and see if it groups well, I'll chuck it up in the lathe and put it on a diet! Still a waiting game on my chassis and action. (action says mid august....ick!)

Last edited:
Sounds like 300 WSM might be the ticket and commonality with bullets, ect. sure would be nice. Like you mentioned quality brass might also have some weight into the equation. I know ADG is out there if your quick to snatch it up. ( Had a buddy pick up 100 pieces a few months back)
Sure would be easier to get projectiles right now unless you go with someone who does direct to consumer like Hammer, which I love but i know aren't everyone's thing. I'm starting to see a few 7mm on shelves but nothing to get excited about.

Edit: should have finished scrolling, lol. If you don't mind the recoil the WSM is a slam dunk. Not like a SAUM isn't going to buck you anyways. Cool, I hope to see more about this.

Yeah I was back and forth between the 7mm08 and 300WSM. The comment on bullet and brass availability helped push me to the 30 cal. I figure I can always dial the loads back if recoil is an issue and still have plenty of headroom to meat my goals.....hoping the concussion won't ring my bell too much! lol

I pretty much handload exclusively when it comes to rifle rounds.

Guess now I'll have to start digging to see what bullet would be best for this setup. I'll likely play with some 208 amax's I have to see how it shoots!

Yeah I was back and forth between the 7mm08 and 300WSM. The comment on bullet and brass availability helped push me to the 30 cal. I figure I can always dial the loads back if recoil is an issue and still have plenty of headroom to meat my goals.....hoping the concussion won't ring my bell too much! lol

I pretty much handload exclusively when it comes to rifle rounds.

Guess now I'll have to start digging to see what bullet would be best for this setup. I'll likely play with some 208 amax's I have to see how it shoots!
You're going to have lots of fun options I assume. At your ranges I'd think 200g partitions are a strong option.

Thanks for the encouragement! So I already have a few powders on hand in the range (H4350, Hunter, RL22) I see alot about 6.5 staball on here. Is that the new hot ticket? I see it quite frequently so I'm not apposed to picking up a lb to try. To bad RL26 is unobtanium. It would work well in several cartridges I shoot.

I dunno man, you got it pretty well covered. Staball is gaining traction, I had this conversation a year ago and decided to go with RL16 because I knew I needed more fill, not less. I think not a ton of people get the accuracy out of it that they do with RL16 or H4350. It gives some people the extra speed they want like RL17. But it also helps some folks in situations where they run out of case before they run into pressure because it is indeed ball powder. Some people do get it accurate. Stability is good but again not like the Hodgdon extreme or alliant stable powders. That's what I got out of my research anyway. I don't think you need it. I probably made some people mad.

I'd say get some h4831sc because it blesses anything I sprinkle it on and it's around halfway between 4350 and rl22, it'll cover some missing bases. Looking at Nosler's data some weights love it, some it's not ideal but in the running. Plus you should have it around anyway, I feel like I can make anything shoot one hole with it if other stuff lets me down. Looks like it shows really well in the hodgdon data too. Not as fast as staball but in the top 3 for most weights.

Welp, I did some pondering over the weekend and figured I'd test the waters on selling my 6-24 arken SH4 that I haven't even taken out of the box. Sold it this evening for more than I paid! lol (got it on a black friday deal) So I've been wanting to try the EP5 5-25 since it was released (I've used the SH4 on a buddies rig which is why I bought mine)

For poops and grins I go back to the outlier sight and plug in the memorial day sale code. Sure as **** it took it! so with that being said I have a 5-25 EP5 on the way with a free 7mm08 barrel🤣 Guess I'll be testing both!

The madness begins!

Last edited:
The 30cal 168amax/eldm will make perfect deer bullets I used the amax for years soon I'll be tinkering with the eldm hopefully they are as easy to load for.
The 7mm 120gr Hornady sst should be an absolute delight for deer as well.

The 300 WSM barrel showed up. Hopefully the 7mm08 isn't far behind it!

1687138020964.png

Looks like thier chassis be a good candidate for an SP.Be interesting to see how well it shoots.
I would use a the big Holland radial brake.

I have very limited experience shooting large game with hand guns but my first kill with an XP in 7-08 was last year. The nice doe was at 260 yards and I took her with a frontal chest shot. the bullet (140 Nosler BT) exited at her nipples due to the slight downward angle of the shot. Im not sure exactly how many inches of penetration that is but this gives me pretty great confidence in the 7-08. The barrel of my XP is only about 12" so it's moving fairly slow also.

So revisiting this as both of the barrels I received had issues....The company made things right but it's back to the drawing board.

At this point I've decided I'll turn my own. I have access to a 300WSM reamer but I can't find brass to save my life!

I did find a 7-08ai reamer and .308 brass is plentiful to form from. Should I just go that route? Playing in quickload it seems like the 168 berger or 175 elite hunter would perform quite well.

I have access to 6 and 6.5 creedmoor reamers also.

7 SAUM brass is equally as hard to find so kinda ruling that one out as well