7mm08 Vs 7saum

squirrel_slayer

So I'm looking to finally go down the rabbit hole on a SP. I think I've narrowed down my selection to one of 3 cartridges. I'm seeing alot of love for the 7mm's

So my goal is compact yet able to hunt large game up to elk out to 300-400yds. Part of me feels like go magnum and throttle as needed. I would prefer having a 12.5-15" barrel (plus brake)

Would a 7mm08 get me there (not afraid to lean on it with some srp brass if needed) or is the 7saum the safer play? I guess the concussion and not having a longer barrel shys me away from the saum. The third option I've considered is a 300WSM. I shoot a 300PRC so I have a decent selection of bullets to feed it (from 208's on up however)

So if 16" was the absolute maximum length what would you guys recommend?
Host will be a ARC CdG short action on a pork sword chassis (this rig is going to be multipurpose) It'll also be SBR'd so that will allow me to do several configurations.

How much am I leaving on the table with a 7 saum out of a 15"? Yes I am limited to a 2.950" mag

Estimated velocity with a 7 saum (or 08) from a 15" I believe you recommended 162gr hornady's last time I asked a few years back. I know you said amax back then. since it's discontinued does the eldx fill that void or has something better hit the market since then?

How much am I leaving on the table with a 7 saum out of a 15"? Yes I am limited to a 2.950" mag

Estimated velocity with a 7 saum (or 08) from a 15" I believe you recommended 162gr hornady's last time I asked a few years back. I know you said amax back then. since it's discontinued does the eldx fill that void or has something better hit the market since then?
"leaving on the table" isn't a fun way to frame it. You're trying to level up a short barrel, lean into that. "leaving x on the table" is a phrase that actually comes up a lot with the SAUM when people talk about neutering it by putting it in a short action, even though it's in the name. Yes it's not the most you can get out of the saum if you were to load it 3.5" long, but if you want to maximize a short action it's the way to go. It's like how people got slobbering angry when creed shooters started using 20-22" barrels. It still works great, you just lost like 25 yards off the far end. You're only going to lose, what, 300 fps?

Even if it's a little less fps per grain you're still going to be ahead of a 7mm-08 is with a 22" barrel if you put a saum in a 16" barrel I think. I feel like stressing about efficiency and blast goes out the window when you pick a project like this and put a brake on it to chase elk, no? Even a 56 is withering at 12-15", I doubt it matters between the saum and the 08. I would want to put all my chips in the game and go 30 cal for more projectile flexibility. But if you want 7mm I would submit the 150 or 168 ABLR, or even the 175ELDX out of the saum. Maybe a 150 partition. If you're not going past 400 those are all going to have great expansion but enough integrity to go deep. I think both 162s are a little soft for what you're asking. Just a slight additional liability. Wouldn't be what I would pick, I'd go harder and lighter or heavier at the same softness. Unless you go 7-08, then they're probably your best choice except maybe 140 partitions. The saum can work happily with 4350 burn rate powders at a very minimal loss and it's born for h4831. That might help with efficiency, but the 300wsm might be the better choice in general. neat project though.

LRX, Accubond, Hammer Hunter, and Partition.
Any of the bonded or partition type bullets will work great that I didn't mention.
I have used the ELD-X (175 grain) to kill four elk, one of which was a bull, and it did a great job in a 18" 7mm Dakota.
I don't use the A-Max or it's replacement the ELD-M for elk, if a shoulder shot (Bone) would be involved. I prefer a stouter bullet for elk.
The question is not, how much are you leaving on the table or efficiency, but rather you are looking for a performance level, regardless of the barrel length.
The 7 SAUM or the 7mm-6.5 PRC (I am not sure which of these two are the shortest without looking it up). Make sure whatever direction you go, that you can get good brass.

You get better BC's with the 7 over the 30, but with a 400 yard max distance, it doesn't really matter a lot which way you go. The advantage of the 7mm will not be much in the wind, when comparing the the same brand/design. What you will notice is more recoil with the 30, since the bullets in the same class will typically weight more when using the the same brand/design with the 30 cal, compared to the 7mm.
I was using a 15.75" 7.82 Patriot with 180 grain Game Kings for elk before the 300 WSM or 300 SAUM was ever introduced.
I have 15" or 15.75" (I will need to check again) 300 SAUM in the works right now. I have elk in mind for distances under 500 yards.

Sounds like 300 WSM might be the ticket and commonality with bullets, ect. sure would be nice. Like you mentioned quality brass might also have some weight into the equation. I know ADG is out there if your quick to snatch it up. ( Had a buddy pick up 100 pieces a few months back)

I love my Ruger No. 1 in 7mm-08 but getting an elk at the OP's distance is beyond my poor abilities with a clean kill.

7-08 in a xp will flatten an elk at 400 yards.

I run 15.5" on my hunting guns plus brake.

120-140 lead core bullets will work fine. 120 mono will work.

It doesn't take a cannon.

Recent Posts