7mm08 for cow elk?

Blacktail-hunter

Hello everyone let me start off by saying I'm a longtime reader but this is my first time posting my own question on this page but love all the different points of view people usually get. So my question is about the 7mm08 for cow elk. My wife should hopefully get a cow elk tag for Colorado this year and I'm wondering what kind of bullets people would suggest and also what kind of range we should stay under with such bullets. She is vary comfortable with the rifle and has been hunting with it for a few years now already lucky enough to have take 3 really nice blacktails in our home state of CA. I have hunted this area of Colorado and if possible would like to be able to take shots out to 500 yards because of the steep terrain in the unit we hope to hunt.

Thanks in advance

B-H...............of all the animals I have hunted, I think elk differ most with respect to gender. The vitality and durability of an 8 or 9 year old bull must be seen to be believed. They rival Oryx in their ability to absorb punishment. Cows and spikes, totally different. No heavy muscles and bone, much smaller. I cannot think of a better cow elk cartridge than a 7-08. I hope the tag draw is good to you............"may the odds be ever in your favor"....FWB

Shoot a 160 class eld-x or berger classic hunter. Stay away from 140 gr bullets as they are too fragile in general. 500 should be fine but check that it provides 1500 ft lbs of energy at your max distance.

Regarding the Creedmore, I have shot several cows (6 or 7) with the Swede and a 6.5X54, bout the same.....worked fine..................FWB

IMO the 140 grain TTSX, Partition, Accubond, and Trophy Tipped bonded bullets are not "too fragile". I think Pharmseller and family have used the 7mm08 with 140 accubonds on a number of elk.

This thread is timely as I'm considering using my 7mm08 with the trophy tipped or the Berger 150 grain classic hunter for a combo mule deer/cow elk hunt this fall.

The 7mm08 is as common as dirt here in Utah, especially for the Youth Hunts! Go 120TTSX to 140 Corlokt and/or Premiums.

I shot my cow this year at 260 yards with a 270 win shooting the 130 trophy bonded tips.. I would assume the 140's out of a 7mm-08 would be comparable and I had a through and through shot busted a shoulder and lots of burger. the trophy bonded tips are worth a shot I think.

Ya but she is already very comfortable with her good old 7mm08 now I'm just wondering what bullets would be best? Right now the rifle is set up and shooting the 150 eld x very well but concerned that it might not hold up to an elk

At 708 velocities on a cow elk, any elk really, you have nothing to worry about with the 150 eldx, and you already know its accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.