7mm08 and 140gr bullets

Brush4646

I load for my two 7mm08 rifles one with Shilen 1-11 twist and one with 1-10 twist douglas. I also load for friends with Model 7 Remingtons and one Sako. None of the will shoot
140 grain bullets with any powder. All shoot 120,s great.
What gives? Any one finding this to be true with their
rifles?

A few years ago I purchased a no frills Tikka 595 in 7mm-08. The rifle will shoot almost any bullet pretty well but a few of the 140's will shoot into .5" fairly often.

The Nosler Ballistic Tip is almost always an easy bullet to get to shoot. I also have an excellent load for the Barnes TSX which was used to harvest a nice PA buck last year.

Bob....My Ruger 7x57 Mauser and UltraLight .284 Win love 140 gr Ballistic Tips, but the 140s simply WILL NOT shoot out of my Model 7 7-08 with any load I've tried. Like you, I found that the 120 BTs shoot much better. But then I tried the Speer 130 gr boattails and struck oil! With a stiff load of R-15 or IMR 4320, they will shoot all day into .75" at around 2950 fps from the light little rifle(yes, I know this is hot--work up your own load). My nephew's stainless Model 7 likes this load almost as well. With it, I took my best whitetail to date, a 161 5/8 gross buck. I wish I could say that he was taken at 600 yds, but he was only 52 long paces away. Try the Speer 130s and see if they shoot in your rig....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.