7mm08 162 amax loads

pondskipper

I'm in the process of having a 7-08 built with a 26" 1:9 twist lilja No7 contour barrel with a trued Remington 700 I had just sitting in the safe, all being installed into an xlr carbon chassis system that will be a repeater. I'm wondering what everyone is shooting out of their 7-08 with the 162gr amax bullets and what speeds and barrel lengths are. Hoping to be able to hit 2800 safely and on an accuracy node.

You MIGHT reach 2800, i am at 2860 fps in my 284 win (11 grains more capacity) with H4350 and a 26" barrel. I think 2725-2750 is a much more realistic expectation.

You should be close if you don't quite get there. I get 2720ish with Reloader 17 out of a 23" Broughton barrel.

Chris

How many grains of rl17 if you don't mind me asking? I do have a good bit of varget stashed away, may give it a go as well.

And even if I only reach 2750 I will still be more than happy with it, it will be FAR better than any 308 Winchester at longer ranges any day of the week as far as ballistics are concerned and will have better barrel life than a 260 though it will have a bit more drop. The only reason I was hoping to get to 2800 was so that at sea level it would have a max range of about 1500 yards before it started to fall below the speed of sound but if all I can stretch it to is 1400 that's fine as well.

Keep in mind this load was developed for a semi-custom rifle built on a Savage PTA with a Broughton 5c barrel that was throated for the 175 gr Matchking.

After working from 40.0 to 49.0 grs without pressure signs of any kind I settled at 46.6 grs over a Fed 210 primer. This load is ultra accurate and kept me in line with the top listed velocities in the 3 reloading manuals that I use most. This is over Alliants listed max for the 160 class bullet so start way below this level.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.