7mm WSM

whitedogone

I want/need a new rifle. Mainly for informal paper punching. Plus I'd like to have it for my once in a lifetime trip out west one of these years. I found a new Savage 11 11FL in 7mm WSM for real cheap and was wondering if I should go with that or wait for another LH gun to come along.

I want/need a new rifle. Mainly for informal paper punching. Plus I'd like to have it for my once in a lifetime trip out west one of these years. I found a new Savage 11 11FL in 7mm WSM for real cheap and was wondering if I should go with that or wait for another LH gun to come along.

I like that you picked a Savage. It's my personal favorite. I'm also a huge fan of the 7mmWSM.

I'm not a big fan of Short actions. It will severely limit you ability to seat long bullets in a manner to allow it to be a repeater. It's fine if you don't mind using it single shot.

I'd recommend getting a Stevens 200 in a magnum caliber and selling off the barrel and stock. Replace them with a Stockade stock and quality prefit barrel in 7mmWSM.

I think you could do it for less than $700. What's your budget?

I like that you picked a Savage. It's my personal favorite. I'm also a huge fan of the 7mmWSM.

I'm not a big fan of Short actions. It will severely limit you ability to seat long bullets in a manner to allow it to be a repeater. It's fine if you don't mind using it single shot.

I'd recommend getting a Stevens 200 in a magnum caliber and selling off the barrel and stock. Replace them with a Stockade stock and quality prefit barrel in 7mmWSM.

I think you could do it for less than $700. What's your budget?

i'm not sure what all that means. I'm a real rookie when it comes to all this rifle stuff. I saw the savage NIB for $334 plus my FFL fees of $25. It seems real cheap, but I wonder if i'd be better off in the long run just spending more on a 7mm mag because the ammo would probably be less $.

i'm not sure what all that means. I'm a real rookie when it comes to all this rifle stuff. I saw the savage NIB for $334 plus my FFL fees of $25. It seems real cheap, but I wonder if i'd be better off in the long run just spending more on a 7mm mag because the ammo would probably be less $.

Sorry about that, I'll type slower this time.:D

What I'm trying to say is that it's a good gun and well worth $334.

If you can find a Stevens 200, it will probably be cheaper than the Savage. Stevens 200's are the same as that model 11, but they don't come in short action magnums. You'd have to get a 7mm mag.

Savage/Stevens rifles are great out of the box. They are perfect for guys like me that like to tinker. You can swap stocks, barrels, triggers, boltheads very easily at home. No need to be a gunsmith to change calibers.

Check out Savageshooters for a ton of good specific information.

7mm WSM is awesome! Once you get more into long range shooting you will be able to load some real quality bullets and shoot them accurately at great distances. It will also fulfill your need for a caliber with sufficient power for a once in a lifetime western hunting trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.