7mm WSM

I've wondered the same and these are the reasons I've come up with after numerous conversations.

The bullet technology wasn't there when they were introduced. Now it is but the barrels aren't the right twist in factory rifles. Additionally, the modern bullets won't run in the actions that were originally the target of the round due to mag length.
Essentially the WSM/SAUM rounds are prime for the current market but would take a new name to keep from confusing consumers with factory offerings.

If you want it, load your own ammo and use a proper length action and custom barrel and enjoy what is there.
Agreed...6.8 Western on scene

Mostly because it has no neck! Plenty of velocity but poorly designed case. Thats why the saum is far more popular, even though velocity is less and why the new MEGA will likely become very popular/
.300 Winmag has no neck either and it's very accurate!

Last edited:
Mostly because it has no neck! Plenty of velocity but poorly designed case. Thats why the saum is far more popular, even though velocity is less and why the new MEGA will likely become very popular/
The only downside to the short neck is that there isn't as much room to seat shorter bullets closer to the lands in a custom throated barel, which really isn't even a problem, and there's zero negative effect on accuracy or throat erosion that's all crap.
The 7 wsm is a better case design than the saum.. Gasp..
With the ADG 300wsm brass coming wildcating it will definitely be pretty popular.
I actually designed a 7-300 wsm 45 degree improved, testing should start this month