7mm WSM

Go for it!

Brass quality/availability, coal in short action and tough on barrels are a few purported negatives around this one. Great cartridge!

Brass manufacturers is a big one. I could be wrong, but i think only win, hornady, bertram and maybe one other make brass.

I see alot of people building 7mm SAUM's and wonder the same thing. The 7mm WSM case length is about 65 hundredths longer and has about 7.2 grs of water more capacity.

Why is this chambering not more popular ?
Really wanting to build one.
I see alot of people building 7mm SAUM's and wonder the same thing. The 7mm WSM case length is about 65 hundredths longer and has about 7.2 grs of water more capacity.
Sherman Max. wsm velocity, ADG brass, and good design

When mine was finally shot out and had it setback, I had him redo the chamber so now I can use necked up 270 or necked down 300, I can still use 7mm but I have to prep it once before firing it the first time.

Dean

I'm on my second custom 7WSM barrel. The cartridge shoots great with everything from the Hammer 124gr to the Berger 180gr. I built it for long(er) range whitetails but have used it to take everything from Red Stag on down. Although the Winchester brass is the weak link, it can be prepped and sorted sufficiently enough to produce very accurate ammunition. I have many loads that are running 1.5" at 400yds.

Despite all the great new-fangled bullets out there, I've taken most of my animals with the 160gr Accubond. Killing whitetails out to 500yds was no problem.

Ran one for years with the 180 Berger/eld's at 3035fps on h1000. It was stupid accurate and killed like a champ.

Like a fool I sold it and now have super accurate customs that saddle it in size so it's redundant for me but I still want another on an XM length action.
I just don't understand why some of these custom gun makers like ca, fierce, remington, etc build the 7wsm, they all have 300 wsm, but not one of them have the saum.

I just don't understand why some of these custom gun makers like ca, fierce, remington, etc build the 7wsm, they all have 300 wsm, but not one of them have the saum.
I've wondered the same and these are the reasons I've come up with after numerous conversations.

The bullet technology wasn't there when they were introduced. Now it is but the barrels aren't the right twist in factory rifles. Additionally, the modern bullets won't run in the actions that were originally the target of the round due to mag length.
Essentially the WSM/SAUM rounds are prime for the current market but would take a new name to keep from confusing consumers with factory offerings.

If you want it, load your own ammo and use a proper length action and custom barrel and enjoy what is there.

I've wondered the same and these are the reasons I've come up with after numerous conversations.

The bullet technology wasn't there when they were introduced. Now it is but the barrels aren't the right twist in factory rifles. Additionally, the modern bullets won't run in the actions that were originally the target of the round due to mag length.
Essentially the WSM/SAUM rounds are prime for the current market but would take a new name to keep from confusing consumers with factory offerings.

If you want it, load your own ammo and use a proper length action and custom barrel and enjoy what is there.

Agree with that ... building faster twist versions would create confusion with most hunters who just buy a gun and factory ammo.

My first hunting rifle was my dad's old 244REM. I bought the ammo I could find at the sporting goods store which was 100gr corelokt.

After much work on my shooting technique and trying different scopes, mounts, etc. I was rapidly losing confidence that I could ever learn to shoot a rifle accurately.

Then I started using this new thing (the internet) and found that that model semi-auto Remington sporter in 244 was twisted 1:12". And then I learned about bullet weight/length, stability and twist.

And then I bought my 270 :)

I don't think much R&D was put into the both of those short mags. The market is always just so hungry for something new that they filled that void. me I just shoot Sierra 100gr hollow points out of it It's entertaining to say the least it just never gets old.

Dean