7mm WSM

I've got a T3 300 WM that I think I'm going to convert to 7WSM. Lotsa factory ammo out their for it right now for brass and break in. Would like to build a light weight budget gun that would get me to 800 for Mule deer.

The bullet technology wasn't there when they were introduced. Now it is but the barrels aren't the right twist in factory rifles.
Additionally, the modern bullets won't run in the actions that were originally the target of the round due to mag length.
Essentially the WSM/SAUM rounds are prime for the current market but would take a new name to keep from confusing consumers with factory offerings.

If you want it, load your own ammo and use a proper length action and custom barrel and enjoy what is there.
^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've got a T3 300 WM that I think I'm going to convert to 7WSM. Lotsa factory ammo out their for it right now for brass and break in. Would like to build a light weight budget gun that would get me to 800 for Mule deer.
You'll find lots of brass available now too.
Hornady is what I'm using in mine and its pretty dang good if you're not running extreme pressures.
I'm getting unreal accuracy in my 7 wsm with impressive velocities

I wish I could find match grade brass for mine. I bought a Kimber Montana when the 7mm WSM first came out. It is a solid .75MOA rifle with Winchester and Federal brass. I settled on the 145 Barnes LRX at 3,100 FPS using 7828. It is my pack rifle for elk and weighs in just right at 7 1/2 pounds ready to go. It wears a Leupold 2.5-8 x 36 VX3 in lightweight mounts which is enough to get to 600 or so yards. It is the perfect lightweight hunter in my opinion. It is probably getting close to shot out, but I will probably just rebarrel to the same cartridge!

Go for it!

Brass quality/availability, coal in short action and tough on barrels are a few purported negatives around this one. Great cartridge!
You can make brass out of any .404 Jeff product. RUMs, the numbered Noslers, etc. Just got to work at it.

If I was building a WSM, I'd do it on a long action. No more COAL worries at all. My 300 RUM feeds WSMs just fine from the magazine.

Seems like the 7wsm all but died out a few years ago. I've noticed a small resurgence in popularity recently, and I'm not sure why. Don't get me wrong, I like the WSM case design, but when it comes to filling niches; there is a lot less room between a .280AI and a 7mm Rem Mag than there is between a .270win and .270 wby, or a 30-06 and a 300WM.

That said, the WSM's do really well in 'long action' Tikka magazines. The T3 is a pretty good platform. A 1:8" twist barrel will likely spin any bullet you might want to shoot.

I shoot a 7wsm it's on its second barrel. 180 grain bullets can exceed 3000 FPS in 26" easily. Personally I'm running them a shade below 3000. Average group size at 300 yards .75". Average at 700 yards 2-3". It does everything that a 6.5 PRC does, better. Recoil in a 10# rifle is about equal to a 8# 270 win. I have enough nosler brass to last 3 more barrels (my current batch of brass is on its 9th reload and I've lost zero)

I shoot a 7wsm it's on its second barrel. 180 grain bullets can exceed 3000 FPS in 26" easily. Personally I'm running them a shade below 3000. Average group size at 300 yards .75". Average at 700 yards 2-3". It does everything that a 6.5 PRC does, better. Recoil in a 10# rifle is about equal to a 8# 270 win. I have enough nosler brass to last 3 more barrels (my current batch of brass is on its 9th reload and I've lost zero)
How many rounds did your barrel go?

The short action kept it equal to or verily exceeding 7 SAUM and 280 AI. Also the short neck isn't a good thing for barrel life. It hit a little stride in F class then short barrel life kind of ended that. That with No Factory support and it died.

Since folks are building in a long action spinning heavier bullets and it started to shine. Seems brass coming more available and getting a resurgence with the reloaders. But with the shorter barrel life it's really only good for a hunting cartridge. And as said before the 7mm is so crowded not much space for it. If your going short barrel life go 28 Nosler, 7 RUM both out due 7 WSM. 280 AI and 7 SAUM nip at it heels with better barrel life and more brass availability.

With all that said I'm getting one put together now with a short barrel to shoot suppressed. Should be great hunting rifle.