7mm wsm-- vs-- 7mm saum

remcraz

Hi
I would like some info. on which caliber 7mm Wsm OR THE 7MM SAUM do you think would be the best deer and bear caliber and why. I dont shoot much long distance but I do have some access to do some long distance shooting
Thanks Ted

Id say WSM
1. ALOT more brass available
2. 100+fps faster
3.higher case capasity and longer csae.
I see by your ''handle'' your a Rem fan. but Rem's SAUM didnt catch on near as well as the WSM line. I think the WSM beats the SAUM all the way in performance. Thier RUM's sure did make a statement tho!

I doubt any deer or bear is going to tell the difference when shot. :)

However, to try and at least contribute a little info here I'll say this.

1) The WSM will be a little faster with everything else being equal.

2) The SAUM case is .100 shorter than the WSM thus a little better suited to a short action, although I still run out of mag room with the 162 gr Amax, it's about .035 to long when seated .007 off the lands.

3) The SAUM has a longer neck than the WSM which some feel contributes to a more inherently accurate cartridge. Couldn't prove it by me, cuz I don't shoot "that" well.:rolleyes:

4) The WSM does have the edge in brass, but with a little sorting Remington brass will get the job done.

I went with the Saum in a short action with a 27" barrel and it will run with the WSM in 24" barrel. If I were to do it again though I'd go with the WSM in a long action and never have to worry about OAL again.

Chris

I went with the 7mmSAUM for my custom build last summer. The difference between the WSM and SAUM is minimal. One reason I like the SAUM because lots of people shoot the WSM and not many shoot the SAUM. On a good day my rifle shoots 1.5" groups at 600 yds. The WSM is a little faster but the deer will never know the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.